Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I finally have time and perhaps more need to deal with the…

Customer Question
Hey Chris I finally have...
Hey Chris I finally have time and perhaps more need to deal with the PCM Module in our 2006 Dodge Dakota V8. I wondering how hard it is to change out the PCM module. Is it something that I can do if I order the correct PCM or am I better off spending the funds to have a service garage replace it.If i can perform the work I will also need you to repost the PDF that you posted earlier.Bruce
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
4/2/2018
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 4 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!!! I'm reading your question and will post a reply soon. Thank you for your patience.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!! My name is ***** ***** I have worked at a Dodge dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help...

Swapping the PCM is easy but the problem lies programming it.. If you have security you can't swap PCM's with a used one, you will need to get a new one as the VIN number is ***** into the PCM and if you install a used one the security will see the different VIN and lock you out...

We(Dealership) charge 1 hour to program computers which is around 100.00.. If you swap it yourself then you will need to get it towed to the dealership to be programmed....

Talk soon,

Brad

BradI had researched the purchase of a new PCM and understood the need to have the VIN number programmed into the replacement PCM. I understand the physical exchange appears to be a simply removal and unplugging of the old PCM and then the re-plugging and remounting of the new unit. I can do this for about $ 400 to $ 500 and with my electronic / computer skills understand potential problems with performing the installation of electronic components. My understanding is a dealership or repair shop will charge several thousand dollars for the same work. What is it that they will do that I can not perform.Bruce