Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 ram 1500, I want to switch from manual seats…

Customer Question
I have a 2012 ram...
I have a 2012 ram 1500, I want to switch from manual seats to full power seats with heating and cooling. I have purchased a used set of same from similar model and year, including switches for dashboard. Drivers side connections look ok, but passenger side connection is only small plug, I imagine for seatbelt sensors etc. What wiring harness and modules do I need to make these seats work?
Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Dodge
4/2/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 21 days ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you have the VIN from the DONOR vehicle as well as the VIN from your vehicle? I need this IMPORTANT info to be able to tell if the seats are even compatible with your vehicle electrically...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Robert,
The VIN for my truck is 1c6rd7ft8cs176414. I don't know what the VIN of the donor vehicle is- would there be any indication of the VIN on the seats- where would I look? I know that the center dashboard console that was given to me with the seats is identical to that in my truck with the exception of the additional seat control switches.
Greg

Did you purchase these seats at a salvage yard? If so, your purchase invoice should include the donor vin....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Did not purchase from salvage yard. I will ask seller, but I doubt he will have any documentation like you describe- I think he took seats as collateral for loan. Is there any other way to identify compatibility of seats?

Dodge changes things from year to year so unless these are out of the same year, chances are high that something is incompatible and may not work.

Can you take pics of the seat electrical connectors? Also, general pics of the seats should help. Also take some pics of your existing seats and I'll see what I can do. Definitely ask the seller if he has at least info about exactly what year the seats were out of..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Robert, attached are photos and my best interpretation of connections and various ID #s.
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 20 days ago
I am researching this concern for you and will get back with you as soon as possible, Thanks for your patience while I gather the information needed for your answer. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.Thanks,Robert
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Robert, tracking the part # 05026630AK, for the unit under the new drivers side seat, it looks like this is the heated / cooled seat controller that was used in the 2012 Ram 1500. I'm crossing my fingers that I will be able to use these seats. What do you think?
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 19 days ago

That's a good sign. The problem may be with the harness. At this point you probably should look in the dash area where the switches go and see if you find existing connectors for the switches. Let me know what you come up with. As for the seat harnesses, you will need to compare the wire colors with the connectors that match to see if the same colors are on both sides. Lastly, let me know which connectors you have left over that don't have a mating connector. This may help me to determine what you may need to create your own overlay harness for...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Robert,I have purchased access to an online manual, and have been searching parts. If I am reading this correctly, the wiring harness for the right seat will connect to the heating and cooling controller in the drivers seat. I don't think there is a wiring harness from the left to right side at this time. I think I need to order part # 68064272AA. Does this sound right?

I'll look into this tomorrow when I have access at work. I'll let you know what I find..

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master