Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 199 dakota 6 colander won't turn over some times. i can…

My 199 dakota 6...

My 199 dakota 6 colander won't turn over some times . i can hear the starter click but no crank , it'll do that a few times then it will eventually crank but takes a bit to turn over , when cold .after driving it for a while it starts no problem until it sets for a few hours .

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started a day ago . it will jump start . the click is coming from under the driver side .

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Dakota?

1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing it my self , recently i've replace the AIC , throttle sensor and the crank position sensor . idler fully and belt.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm thinking it may be a relay ?

4/1/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

My 199 dakota 6 cylinder won't turn over some times . i can hear the starter click but no crank , it'll do that a few times then it will eventually crank but takes a bit to turn over , when cold . After driving it for a while it starts no problem until it sets for a few hours .

Mechanic's Assistant: Where ... view full

If you hear a click that typically means the starter has failed. You can monitor voltage at the wires going to starter during problem. Both wires should show at least 11v with key in start position. If voltage is good but starter isn't turning engine this would mean the starter needs to be replaced. Here are replacement instructions. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pewy8dhxskx56zv/strr.pdf?dl=0

when i turn the key nothing happens , a few times ,then the starter will click and crank the motor

This usually means the starter has failed and step 1 is going to be checking voltage going to starter during problem. Another option is to jump pin 87 to pin 30 at starter relay next time problem happens, if this doesn't force engine to start it would also point toward starter as problem. If this does allow starter to turn then replace the relay. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Here is a picture of starter relay which is located in fuse box under the hood. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fb94vh3wdeo0d6h/starterrs.pdf?dl=0

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

I put a different IAC VALVE. And a new battery .been running like a dream ever since (about 2weeks )

Good to hear it is running like it should, thanks for update.

Just wanted to send a reminder to rate answer, thanks.

Dan, Technician