Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 Dodge 1500 pickup 5.7 ltr hemi....abs light, check

Customer Question
2003 Dodge 1500 pickup...

2003 Dodge 1500 pickup 5.7 ltr hemi....abs light , check engine light, air bag light as well as ac/heat not working. replaced rear speed sensor as well as some of the fuses as well as replaced battery; Now it is acting like it wants to shut off . Is this the emc ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

They stay on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have been trouble shooting ourselves. we replaced the battery that wasn't pulling full amps, replaced some of the fuses and the rear speed sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When the rear speed sensor was replaced they did not disconnect the negative battery cable. Not sure if this would cause a problem

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Dodge
3/31/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 20 days ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

do you have code numbers?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thank you

Since the check engine, abs, and air bag lights are on it means you will have diagnostic trouble codes stored in each system. You need the codes to diagnose. You may have a few separate issues here. If you have the code numbers it will help diagnose the problem.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
We haven't checked the codes since we replaced the rear speed sensor...I can't remember the code they gave...p0501 i think. It is late here so I can't get it rechecked until tomorrow.
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
When we replaced the rear speed sensor, we didn't know to remove the negative cable to the battery prior to replacing. Would this make a difference

No that would not make a difference. That would clear the code and possibly shut off the abs light.

Disconnect the battery cables and hold them together for 5 minutes or longer.
Reconnect the battery cables positive first then negative.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok. We will try in the morning. We just bought a new battery yesterday. Plus cleaned the corroded positive cable prior to replacing battery.

You are going to have separate codes for air bag, abs and engine. Three different modules.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Ok. I will take to store tomorrow for them to put on computer. Thank you for your help!

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit from the site unless you give a positive rating.
Do not give a negative rating (2 stars or less) please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!
5 star ratings are greatly appreciated!

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Do I rate now or tomorrow when check a few things?

Tomorrow is fine. Thanks

Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 16 days ago

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated.
This question will automatically time out after 7 days. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more.
A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician