Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2014 RAM 1500, key stuck in ignition. Key is not worn.

Customer Question
2014 RAM 1500, key...

2014 RAM 1500, key stuck in ignition.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key is not worn. Steering wheel turns. Console just says press on brake and select desired gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing. Just got home. Can't get the key out. It is stuck in the accessory position. I can start it again, but it will not come out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that it is the electronic gear shift not a column shift.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/31/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 3 months ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

We see this happen on quite a few occasions and it is caused by an internal issue with the ignition itself, or keyless ignition node as it is called (KIN).

You can usually just force the key out of the ignition to get it shut off, and your fix will be to replace the KIN module.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need anything further. Thanks.