Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 my o/d light come on then 2

Customer Question
98 dodge ram 1500...

98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 my o/d light come on then 2 minutes later trans temp comes this happenes 1 block of driving but shifts great need help

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Over drive light and then trans temp light

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Check for air leaks cloged lines added trans cooler

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just put trans ib it was rebuilt 6 months ago came out of a friends truck and ran great with no problems

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Dodge
3/30/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 23 days ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is*****'ll need some questions answered in order to try and sort this out for you.

What is the color and condition of the trans fluid?

Is the used trans you installed IDENTICAL to the one you removed? Same year or different?

Have you checked for fault codes? What are they?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Dark red no Burnt smell yes same trans same year make no fault codes
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Would a clogged filter do this

Thanks for your reply.

Ok, trans fluid as you know is bright red in color. When it gets to be dark red that is a sign that the fluid is getting overheated. More often than not this is the result of excessive slippage in the clutches and/or bands in the trans.

The O/D will kick out when there is an over temp situation in the trans, and given the fact that the fluid is dark in color, I suspect you have excessive slippage internally. If a shop rebuilt this just 6 mos ago then I would return there for a warranty repair.

The easiest thing for you to do in the short term is to drop the trans pan down and at least have a look inside and see if there is any debris in the pan. As for the filter, typically, they don't create too many issues unless they get plugged up, but then again if they get plugged up then there is debris floating around. So........well worth dropping the pan and doing a visual on everything and then go from there.

Hope that helps.....if you need anything further just let me know. Thanks.

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician