Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Dakota instrument cluster stopped working and motor…

Customer Question
2000 Dakota instrument cluster stopped...
2000 Dakota instrument cluster stopped working and motor runs for 1 second after shutting off the key now. Have checked grounds and all fuses. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/30/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

My thoughts on these troubles, based upon the symptoms, points towards the ignition switch. I'm going to have a look at the wiring diagrams. Back shortly.

Tried the ignition switch already

Shoot - sorry I missed that part of your post... my bad...

A you a tech, or the vehicle owner?

Both

OK! I ask because it changes my approach.

Are you able to communicate with the PCM with a scanner? I ask this only to verify some network operation.

Do you have access to wiring diagrams?

No codes

Alright, if I was the tech looking at this one, I would be checking fuses17, 10a in the junction block (left side of dash) and fuse F, 20 amps in the PDC, and then ground point G100, left front fender. You have checked power and grounds.

My next steps would be at the cluster, ensuring the power gets there, and that it is in fact grounded.

Fav you tell me which pins to check on cluster. Fuses and grounds are good

My thoughts on this problem is that we pick one area to start, and hope that once we've worked through one, that it may be related to the other.

Yes, I can give you the pin outs. There are two connectors on the cluster. Powers and grounds are on connector 1. I'll give you position and wire colors

Fuse 17, switched power, provides power to pin 2, dark blue wire with a white stripe

Fuse F is hot at all times, and provides power to pin 6, and is a yellow wire with a white stripe

Ground is pin 4, black wire

I missed this one - pin 5 is also a ground, G202, lower left of dash

Will do and get back to you

Alright!

I have two connectedness behind cluster. When I check with my power probe connected to my battery. I am not sure the number for the pins

Yes, there are two connectors. go by the wire colors.

on connector 1, as an example, pin 1 will be a black wire with an orange stripe.

What color is pin 5
Tried a different instrument cluster and no change

Pin 5 is straight black

Were you able to verify power and grounds

verified. Could it be the ecm

Before replacing the ecm, I would like you to check for voltage on pins 9 and 10 of connector #1 - a white wire with a black stripe on pin 9, and a violet wire with a brown stripe on pin 10. These are the network wires. Should be 2.5 volts on both of them.

Does anything work on the cluster, like the seat belt light?

How about the park brake "on" light?

Park break high beam dash lights all work will check voltage

This seems to be leading to a network issue. Pins 9 and 10 are for the network.

Thanks will be in the am to get back to it

OK.

There is a joint connector behind the left side of the dash, with white/black wires, and with Violet / brown wires.

I don't know what scan tool you are using, and whether it can scan the ABS and SRS modules or not, but if you can't communicate with those modules, then it REALLY looks like a network issue to me.

Thanks again will check

Sounds good.

Hi there - any news?

If this information has proven useful, please close the question and rate my service. Regards, Canuck

Not getting good voltage to pin 9 and 10. Checked connections on ecm looks good
Can not communicate with abs
Hi there. So at the cluster, pins 9 and 10, I'm assuming you grounded one of the multimeter leads, and checked the voltage at pins 9 and 10, and ended up with something significantly less than 2.5 volts. If you can't communicate with the ABS either (assuming your scan tool has that capability), then there is a problem with the network wires. I'm in transit at the moment, and don't have access to my wiring diagrams, but I will be online tonight.
Thanks appreciate your help

Looking for a diagram, and some more tactics to track this down...

VEHICLE COMMUNICATION
The Chrysler collision detection system (CCD Bus) consists of a twisted pair of wires. These wires run from one module to another. They receive and deliver coded information between the modules. The information is coded to identify the message as well as the importance of the message. When there are multiple messages trying to access the CCD bus at one time, the code determines the message that has the highest priority, and is then allowed to access the bus first.

The two wires of the twisted pair that make up the CCD multiplex system are called "bus +" (bus plus) and "bus -" (bus minus) respectively. Each wire has a measurable voltage level of roughly 2.5 volts. In order to maintain the 2.5 volts on each line and provide a means of transportation for the coded messages, there is a "voltage divider network" located in the module that supplies bus bias or voltage. Along with the module that supplies bias, some modules provide termination. Bias is the voltage necessary to make the bus operational. At least one point of termination is necessary, some systems may use more than one. Some modules are capable of both biasing and terminating. Termination in the circuitry (a 120 ohm resistor placed across the bus) is required to complete the voltage divider network circuit and also provide some electromagnetic protection for the bus. In this vehicle, the bias is supplied by the instrument cluster and termination is provided by the PCM. Without termination, voltage on the bus goes to approximately 5 volts on one wire and 0 volts on the other wire.

NOTE: COMMUNICATION OVER THE BUS IS ESSENTIAL TO THE PROPER OPERATION OF THE VEHICLE'S ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEMS AND THE DRBIII (R). PROBLEMS WITH THE OPERATION OF THE BUS OR DRBIII (R) MUST BE CORRECTED BEFORE PROCEEDING WITH DIAGNOSTIC TESTING. IF THERE IS A PROBLEM, REFER TO THE VEHICLE COMMUNICATIONS.

Scanner works with motor not abs

do you have an email address where I could send you a few pics? I have the network diagram, and there is a network junction on the left side of the instrument panel - probably just above the kick panel. I've also seen this junction on the right side of the drover's footwell, by the heater box. I would like you to try and locate this junction, and see if there is any corrosion, or broken wires.

wires will be violet / brown, and white / black

sent the pics. It is two pics, half the diagram in each. The idea was to try and preserve the resolution so you could read it... hope it works out

Gotta go. I will be back online tonight.

Did you have any luck finding the network junction block?

Found junction. Have 10.3 volts thru wires
When I check Voltage at junction i have 10.3 volts. When I check at dash I get 2.6 volts on and off in quick rotation.
The numbers at the dash connector seems correct. The junction... Seems off. What year of truck is the new cluster out of?
2000
I'm out of ideas on this one. You have power(s), grounds, and from what you are telling me, action on the network as well. I'm hesitant to say both clusters are no good. I'm going to put this question out to other experts and hopefully someone will have some thoughts on this that I've missed.