Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I HAVE A 2006 DODGE CARAVAN SE THAT HAS MANUAL DOOR LOCKS…

Customer Question
I HAVE A 2006 DODGE...
I HAVE A 2006 DODGE CARAVAN SE THAT HAS MANUAL DOOR LOCKS AND WINDOWS. WHAT DO I NEED TO CHANGE THEM TO POWER DOOR LOCKS AND WINDOWS? THANKS
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/29/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 3 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Sorry about being a little pessimistic about the swap but it is allot more trouble then manually rolling down windows and unlocking doors in my opinion. The easiest/cheapest option would be to buy doors from salvage yard which would come with wiring, door lock actuators, window regulators, and switches. Then you would still need to spend a couple hours running wires. Just the doors are going to cost you around $200 each at a salvage yard then for someone else to do the work would probably cost another $400-$800. Selling vehicle and buying one with power windows would probably be the easier/cheaper options. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Test
DAN, going to a junk or salvage yard is not something I want to do because that would mean those doors would entail the additional cost of having to paint my entire vehicle so that it is all one color. My exterior color is a great color that looks new because the one owner took good care of it. What i hoped that you will give me a list of all the correct parts that I would need to get so that I would not be purchasing unnecessary items from a salesperson who knows that I don't have a mechanics knowledge of what it takes. With my 2006 Dodge Caravan SE, for instance, I don't know it if the doors have a rod system or a cable system and also I don't need a keyless lock set-up... I just want to be able to open all the doors via the driver or front passenger side which is something I noticed on a friend's 1998 Dodge Caravan who is able, as needed to open/unlock all doors via the driver's/front passenger sides and with the driver side able to open and close one or both windows with a switch on driver's side.... Also I have a reliable, honest, long used mechanic who told me that there are door and window kits for replacing the manual door locks and window handles. Please list what I NEED to do this so that won't make purchase of incorrect and un-needed parts and become the victim of a salesperson. :) Thanks, Lorene

When I said go to salvage yard I meant for door components, then just swap everything out so you can keep your original doors. Otherwise you are going to need window regulators, door lock actuators, door wire harness, and switches. Buying doors from salvage yard is still going to be best option and a lot cheaper. Some of these things will need to be ordered from dealership. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

You would also need door panels, you really should just buy the doors from salvage yard or scrap whole idea. Buying everything individually could go beyond $1000 for parts easily. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Dan, can you tell me exactly what kits/parts i will need to do the driver and front passenger windows and doors to make the conversions?

You will need door panels, window regulators, door actuators, window/lock switch, internal door wire harness, then have someone will knowledge wire them into vehicle. The door panels, switches, and internal door harness are things you would probably need to buy from dealership.