Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2010 Dodge Journey brake pedal travels about 1/2 way before…

Customer Question
2010 Dodge Journey brake...

2010 Dodge Journey brake pedal travels about 1/2 way before stopping have replaced mc brakes and rotors bleed manually And with scan tool to bleed abs then manually again and still does same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the brakes? How many miles on the car?

149125 and brake pad ands rotors and master cyl new

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm a shop

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dodge
3/29/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic replied 26 days ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - 2 items come to mind.

1. wheel bearing or a bent axle or hub pushing the caliper back into its bore, and then it takes pedal movement and fluid displacement from the master cylinder to get braking = low pedal. possible on the rear, as you would probably feel something like that in the steering wheel if it were on one of the fronts.

2. A problem with the booster. Another customer had a problem with the booster pushrod, and it resulted in a low pedal. It was't evident until the booster was removed for inspection.

Hope that helps. Canuck

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Pedal isn’t low problem it it has pressure and then panel starts to creep only does when vehicle is running
Brake rotors And all new brake pads brake calipers have been serviced

Well that is a little different, and either air in the system, or a master cylinder, so you have both of those covered. I'll release the question to the other Experts.

Dodge Mechanic: Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician replied 25 days ago
Mr. T
Mr. T, Chrysler Certified Technician

Heres something else for you to try out on these. The rear brakes on these journeys have the caliper that requires to be turned in to push the cylinder back into the caliper when you do the brake pads. Alot of the times after doing a brake service on the rear of these the caliper will allow the fluid to return back into the brake system when you let off the brake pedal. So if you have an assistant, pull a rear wheel and have your assistant press the brake pedal. You will likely see the caliper press onto the brake pad but when you have your assistant let off the brake pedal the piston will actually return into the caliper slightly instead of just releasing the pressure only. Only fix would be to replace the faulty brake caliper(s) in the rear.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Problem was there before rotors and pads were changed . It’s the abs module which is bad. Which we fig outcome are own. This why I’ve I have asked for my money back. Didn’t expect to take this long to get answer

I apologize for that, I had just logged on and saw the question was active. Glad you found the issue.

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 22 days ago
eric remington

h​ello have all slides been lubricated on all wheels / / /?? is this 4 wheel disc

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 22 days ago

how did u bleed master cylinder

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I guess you didn’t read my response to last tech. It is a abs
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 22 days ago

y​ou guess what? I know its an abs... so do you want help? I have been a mechanic for almost 40 years

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 22 days ago

so what if that doesn't fix it?

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 22 days ago

you aren't always going to get immediate response....don't replace abs till you check basics...doesn't sound like you have... so why are you on here?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I’m a repair shop all ready did the basics
It now Monday ? Posted on last Thursday .
No need to response
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington