Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2012 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel truck. I'm having

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 dodge 2500 4x4 diesel truck. I'm having problems with the electronic stability sensor light coming on. Have taken truck to dealer service every time. If you turn the truck off and crank it again sometimes the light goes off. They said they change out steering control sensor but sometimes it only last two days and comes back on. Have done this I know 3 to 4 times. The last time they kept the truck for a week and couldn't get the light to come back on. Now the light is back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the light been on for some time?

It came on again this morning and will stay on until truck is cut off again. Cranked it back up and light was out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Dodge dealer mechanics are the only ones that have worked on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What can the dodge mechanic do to fix the problem. The truck has only 41,000 miles on it. Never been put in the mud or abused.

3/29/2018
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are many possible causes for the ESP light coming on. The light will come on when the ABS module sees an issue that will prevent proper operation and sets one or more fault codes. If only the ESP light is coming on then the problem most likely is with the steering angle or yaw sensor in some way.

Do you know what fault codes are currently setting in all modules?

The first time we carried the truck back to dealer service these were the codes they put on our paper work. These were stored in computer.
ABS C1219
ABS C2205
ABS U0429
WCM B1A79
SAS C2205
They replaced the SAS C2205, checked the fegrees in the ABS module. Cleared faults and drove it.Second time:
Found DTCS C1219, C123F and C2205, diagnostic flow was to replace the steering angle sensor, replaced angle sensor and cleared codes.Third time:
Papers said a trac control light is on. Cause :F, IO information only, Claim Type: WToday is the fourth time this light has come on and stayed on until truck was cut off and recranked. Can't get any answers from service department. What do I do now. Waiting on a phone call from them.

They've replaced the sensor once then and you don't yet know what codes are stored now. If you can find out I'll be able to have a better idea of what may be going on this time.

All they do is change it out again and tell me that they can't get a default to come up again. Drove truck with light on for about an hour or two and I was told they don't get a default code last time. They kept truck a week and found nothing. As soon as they call me it'll be going back to Autonation Dodge in Columbus.

If the light was on it was because a fault code was set.

When the light comes on I drive it for awhile to make sure there is a fault code in computer hopefully. Then I switch it off and crank it again. They say when I get to service there is no code. Doesn't make sense what they are telling me. There's a problem causing this and they can't find the cause or don't want to. Are there any danger with this light coming on?

The light comes on when there is an active fault code. If the light is truly coming on with no fault codes then you either have a bad ABS module or an internal failure in the instrument cluster.

If the light is coming on because a fault code has set then you don't have ESP functions while the light is on.

does this mean it could be dangerous to drive with light on? What could happen because my wife drives it sometimes.

If the light is on because of a failure then there is no ESP function, no stability control.

As soon as I can get it back to service and find out what they say again, I'll get back with you.

Great!

sprinkles08