Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Started earlier and few minutes later was not running.

Customer Question
Started earlier and few...

Started earlier and few minutes later was not running. Trying to crank even when let key go. Have to turn key back or Will just keep trying to turn over but doesn't start??

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Key looks ok but steering wheel not wanting to turn

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2007 ram 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm stuck in my driveway with a loaded tool trailer hooked up. Tried disconnecting negative for 30 seconds. Something about WCM

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma'a

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/28/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 3 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Does the keyless entry still work to lock and unlock the doors?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

I don't have keyless entry

Is anything after market installed like a remote start or alarm system?

No sir

Have you had the fault codes read out with a compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicles data port at all?

No I'm 30 minutes from closest parts store. Was running fine yesterday and started right up this morning

The starter is engaging but the engine is not starting though is this correct?

What liter engine is in your model?

That's correct. 5.7

When you first turn on the key do you hear a hum or buzz noise coming from the fuel pump/fuel tank area at all?

Actually no just makes a couple of clicks

O.k., the most common cause for the fault you have described here is the fuel pump itself.The fuel pump fails in the fuel tank creating no fuel pressure causing a no start.The starter will stay engaged by the computer as the computer is still trying to start the engine until you turn the key back.

Since you are not hearing any noises from the fuel tank area like a hum or buzz noise when you first turn on the key this sounds like the fuel pump is at fault.

You will need to have the power and ground signals tested at the fuel pump to then verify this is the cause here.I suspect it will be due to the common failure of it.It can fail suddenly like your seeing here, unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete