Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It is a 2004 dodge 1500, the horn just started going off one…

It is a 2004...

It is a 2004 dodge 1500, the horn just started going off one morning and the only way to stop it was to take out the fuse for it. However when I tried to start it 2 days later, the battery was dead. I was able to jump it from my other car,but something ie draining the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

I realized that in the 9 years I have owned y the truck I have never replaced the battery,so I did put a new one in,that was the one I had to jump after the truck stitting still for 2 days.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is a Dodge Ram 1500, and I took it to a shop that did a diagnostic on it and thought it was the instrument cluster,but forgot about the fuse being out for the horn.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes I will be taking it to a dealer to get a recall on the airbag inflators dealt with and I am going to get them to try to track this problem down also. Just wondering if I can get some more info to pass on to them about this.

3/26/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to provide you with a test to help you pinpoint the root cause?

What size engine do you have?

please
Do I have to repeat what I already asked?

No. but you need to please answer these questions.

What size engine do you have?

What ever you can do to help me, it is the V8 hemi.

Sounds good. One moment while I gather some information and type up your answer.

Okay thank you.

Ok, the most likely possible causes for this battery draw condition on this vehicle is the following components (not limited to)..

• Radio/amplifier
  • Instrument cluster
  • integrated power module/front control module
  • Ignition switch
  • Door switch/latch

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

what I was wondering is do you think that the part that the recall said would expand because of humidity would somehow effect the wireing to the horn as it is right there in the same location? I hoped that in the taking apart the airbag mounting to deal with the recall, they might also find the cause for the battery drain.

YES it is possible. Humidity and temperature are a big factory when it comes to resistance and electronics so it may be related. They may be able to fix two issues at once saving you money.

That is what I was hoping for. One other thing,the mechanic I took it to did mention a clock spring that might be the cause, can you tell me what that would cost?

The cost will all depend on the shop labor rate and other things such as tax rate. However, the clockspring is about 150 bucks plus the labor to install would be anywhere from .5 to 1.5 hours labor depending on the shop.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Well okay, I don't really see if this helps me, I will only find out when I take my truck in to the Dealer.Thanks for your time,but this is a pretty exspensive way to find out nothing for sure.

This is what you asked when we started.

"What ever you can do to help me, it is the V8 hemi."

So I provided you with some possible causes.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician