Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My friend has a 97 Dodge 1500 VAN. It's been dying when he…

Hey Chad - my friend...
Hey Chad - my friend has a 97 Dodge 1500 VAN. It's been dying when he accelerates from a stop intermittently, and so we change the fuel pump. Thought everything was a-okay, but it just did it again. Curious where the fuel filter is (if it has a can filter) and if you have any ideas what else could be causing this. He said the van also has an intermittent misfire on one of the cylinders and occasionally a more widespread misfire.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how you been man

5.2 or 3.9 liter ?

any check engine light on dash ?

did you scan it ? any fault code number you can give me ?

Yeah hold up i'll get the info
I've been good. Thanks for asking!

on 3.9 it is built in and 5.9 actually in the fuel pump

A combination fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator is pressed into a rubber grommet located on the top of the fuel pump module. A separate frame mounted fuel filter is not used.

No check engine lights other when the oil pressure light from the motor dying. The codes that he pulled were just for the cylinder 5 misfire, and it's stored in there. When it dies it's hard to get it to start again, then it will run and drive for a while, and then die again when accelerating from a stop. It's intermittent.
It's the 3.9 so we saw the fuel filter / regulator when we swapped the pump.

The harness injectors are common on them BUT MY EXPERIENCE WITH THEM IS THE CKP SENSOR ,LOSING TIMING SIGNAL WHEN THEY GET HOT AND WILL BE HARD TO START ,I THINK P0305 IS NOT RELATED AND COULD BE SEPARATE ISSUE LIKE COIL OR INJECTOR ON THAT CYLINDER OR LEAKING INTAKE GASKET ,BUT THEN INTERMITTENT NO START OR DYING WILL BE MORE LIKE CKP

NOT A FUEL PUMP ISSUE ,

also this test needs run ,click on link to view

check compression on number $ 5 cylinder and compare

if we P0305 only it will be different then just p030o( random multiple misfire (click on link to view what to test ) but of only P0305 ,

click on link to view testing for P0305 and P0300

if it dies and hard to start my experience with them is the coil

test it when it fails ,if u get below readings , replace primary coil

Checked for spark: No spark
• Checked fuel pressure: OK

• Checked Primary coil resistance: NG - 0 Ohms

• Checked Primary Spark Voltage: OK - 12 Volts
• Checked Secondary Spark Voltage: NG - 0 KV

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Chad Farhat
Thank you for all that info. I will email it to him and see where it takes ups. What is the CKP Sensor (what does CKP stand for)?
Oh got it. Crankshaft Pos Sensor. Thank you. I will let you know what we do.
Sounds good, let me know we continue if need be if that does not solve it,you know how to get in touch , thank you for the 5 Star Rating
sir, thanks again!
Welcome
Hey Chad the CKP seemed to fix the immediate issue. Thanks a million!

Awesome ,great news man

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Send him this troubleshoot steps for P0351

Will do - he sent me this also if it gives you any more inside or if we need to know anything :
*These are the codes I have right now. No check engine light.
P0351
P0305
P0300
P0301
P0305
*

The p0300 is multiple random misfire, so we need to check this fault first

check for vacuum leaks

Ok. Thanks man. Will get back to you.

okay

Hi Chad. This is Zach, Matt’s biz partner, and it’s my van that’s been causing all the trouble. Yesterday morning I started the vehicle to warm it up. I went to leave for work 30 minutes later and the van wasn’t running. There was no CEL. I ran the codes and got P0351 along with random, cyl 1, and cyl 5 misfires. The van started and I was able to get it to work. After work I replaced the ignition coil and headed home. After a couple hiccups, I checked the codes (again, no CEL) and had random, 1, and 5 misfires. Cleared those and drove the rest of the way home where no codes were found. This morning I drove to work, where I checked the codes again, and now have random, 1, 3, and 5 misfires (still no CEL). No noticible hiccups while driving this morning. I didn’t let it warm up as long as I did yesterday. It’s unsettling to me that I am only seeing misfires on the odd side, and can’t remember if I’ve seen them on the even. I’ve had sporiadic instances of cyl 5 misfires for about a year that would throw the CEL.So far I have:
Replaced TPS (code indicated)
Replaced fuel pump (based on past experience and not related to read codes)
Replaced crank position sensor (your advice)
Replaced ignition module (code indicated)The next place I can think of is the cam sensor, and possibly a blown or damaged head gasket.
I should mention, and I don’t think Matt has relayed this to you, there have been a couple times where the engine has lost power in an unusual manner: while driving, the engine would lose power but not die. I could press the gas and hear it rev at a lower volume, but no power was transferred to the wheels. I could rev to a high RPM where the drivetrain would “snap out of it” and return to powering the vehicle. Both instances lasted 10-15 seconds on different trips.

Hey Zach, I doubt this is a blown head gasket here ,

this random misfire ,is ignition , computer maf sensor related , I M THINKING YOU HAVE INTAKE GASKET LEAK ,WHEN COLD THE IT WILL SUCK AIR IN THE THE SYSTEM AND THROW OUR FUEL TRIM PASS 25% WHICH IS THE MAX THE COMOUYETR SILL ADJUST ,WHEN IT GETS HOT THE GASKETTE LEAKING OR THE MANIFOLD IF WARPED ,WIL CLOSE , FROM HEAT ,EXPAND AND RETRECT AND WHEN IT STOP SUCKING AIR IT DRIVES GOOD

WITH A LIVE DATA SCANNER LOOK FUEL TRIM READINGS ,IF YOUR SCANNER CAN DO THAT

WHAT ARE THE LONG TERM AND SHORT TERM FUEL TRIMS , LET SIT AND IDLE THEN READ THESE VALUES ,WE NEED TO SEE - OR + 5 % ON SHORT AND LONG ANYTHING HIGHER WE HAVE RICH OR LEAN CONDITION DEPENDING ON THE - OR + VALUE

GET STARTING FLUID WHEN COLD ,START IT ,SPRAY AROUND THE INTAKE MANIFOLD WHILE RUNNING DOES THE ENGINE RPM SURGES UP , IF IT DOES WE HAVE INTAKE LEAK,LET ME KNOW

Thanks! I’ll let you know at the end of the day. My reader will monitor fuel trims (I believe).

ok sounds good,since scanner can monitor

also get FUEL STATUS :OPEN OR CLOSED LOOP

OXYGEN SENSOR READINGS , UPSTREAM AND DOWN STREAM , ARE THEY FLUCTUATING FROM 0 TO 1 VOLT

ALL READINGS NEEDS TO BE AT IDLE AND AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE, OUR SENSORS WILL NOT START WORKING UNTIL WE REACH OPERATING TEMP AND THE FUEL STATUS GOES FROM OPEN LOOP WHEN COLD TO CLOSED LOOP WHEN HOT