Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

P0420 code. New cat conv. Replaced both o2 sensors and gas…

P0420 code. New cat...

P0420 code. New cat conv. Replaced both o2 sensors and gas cap. Still showing code. Also drove 100+ miles after replacing sensors.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes. Wires are good shape. Located 2 sensors. 1 upstream and 1 downstream.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

03 1500 5.7 quadcab

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

See above

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Just need to pass inspection in la Porte texas

3/25/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Are there any exhaust leaks ahead of the converter?

Was the code erased after the repairs?

Did you use an OEM converter or an aftermarket one?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No leaks. Aftermarket I think on converter. Installed at shop. Code not cleared. How do I clear it?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I disconnected battery before I switched out the sensors. I hooked it back up and check engine light was off. Then I drove it but light came back on after a few miles.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Mark are you still there?

Thanks for the reply.

OK, I would suggest you get the codes erased with a code reader/scan tool first. That way we know for a fact they got erased. If it comes back a second time, then I would suspect a defective cat converter. We have had lots of issues with aftermarket cats not doing what they're supposed to.

I always recommend OEM converters to my customers because although they are more money you only need to do the job once.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Can I get the codes cleared at a parts house?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Like oreilly or autozone?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also how far do I need to drive it after codes are cleared?

Yes you can.

Afterwards, put 75-100 miles on it and see if the light comes back on or not.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Very good. Thanks for the help.

You're very welcome.

When you are satisfied that I have answered your question, please provide a 5 star rating since this is how your expert is compensated for taking time out of their day to assist you. However, if you need any more info please reply back to me before you provide any rating, Thanks again!

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician