Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have the p2Bac information code setting itself every few…

Hi, I have the...

Hi, I have the p2Bac information code setting itself every few minutes after clearing it. I have also recently had PO141 side set. In the past I repeatedly has PO191. For the PO191 I ran HotShot and BG Deisel fuel system cleaner through it and the code stays away for months at a time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

The Dodge dealership says I need $6400.00 worth of EGR system parts for the P2Bac code.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2011 3500. It is a work truck that pulls dump and landscaping trailers but also get 72-80 highway miles a day at 75mph+

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have only reset the light for P2Bac code It comes back on in a few minutes. I have not done anything else for it but take it to the Dealer as my Alltell reader gives N/A for the code. They want to replace the entire EGR system, includuding the cooler.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is definitely sluggish at high rpm's. Barely gets to speed in less than 30 secs any more.

3/25/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

The alternative to repairing the egr system, would be to do an egr delete. This entails removing the egr system components and installing a tuner for much better performance from this engine. Depending on your location this may not be an option, for you but then again it may be and just haven't though about it.

I know you have had the truck diagnosed already, but is there anything else I can help you with?

Cannot risk doing the EGR delete as I routinely deal with VA State Police in my business capacity. they from upon that in VA. So, if I understand you, you concur with replacing the EGR components if I cannot do the EGR delete?

Fair enough, regarding the delete, just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware it was an option for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d1xxovkou61n1j/P2bac.pdf?dl=0

This P2BAC code is only indicating that the engine is being de-rated because of some other codes that are present. The other codes you listed are o2 sensor codes and aren't likely to cause this, so I'm wondering what other codes may be stored that is causing the de-rate?

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
I know that PO191 is a fuel rail pressure low code. Po141 is the o2 sensor code that , according to all the forums I've read, needs a new transmission wiring harness,68085409AE, with 20 gauge wires and corrected connectors. This P2Bac code and the replacement of the EGR system, is probably the straw that breaks the camel's back.
I bought a Dodge with a Cummins in it because I was counting on reliability. Now I see that when they went from the 5.9 to the 6.7 they really are no more reliable than the Ford I traded for this one. It is depressing to spend 56k on a vehicle and by 7 years old it is costing 6k a year to keep it going.