Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I am getting a p2100 code and it can't clear it but the car…

Customer Question
I am getting a...

I am getting a p2100 code and it can't clear it but the car is not acting any different

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P2100 that is showing up on my trinity

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2009 challenger 6.1 str8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Challenger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing really yet I just saw it but the car is not performing any different but if u have any ideas that would be awesome

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a larger throttle body installed

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/25/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It's all basically means that there's an issue with the signal that the throttle body is outputting to the engine control module.The way that the throttle position sensors work in a throttle body is to prevent what the industry cause unintended acceleration, the throttle body actually has two throttle position sensors installed.In order to make sure that it's virtually impossible for something short out and the ECM to not know where the throttle plate is actually position, each of the two potentiometers in the throttle body is supplied if 5 volt power source from the ECM and a ground.As the throttle plate opens from being completely closed , to 100% open, one of the sensors starts at 0 volts and increases to 5 volts. The other sensor puts out 5 volts when the throttle plate is closed and decreases to 0 volts with the throttle plate being 100% open.Because of the inverse relationship of the voltage signal on the two potentiometers, it's basically impossible for the ECM to believe that the throttle plate is in a position that is not because they are cross reference against each other.When you installed the bigger throttle body you should have adapted it with the scan tool, and basically to test the throttle body younwant to readapt jt with a scan tool again, and see if it passes or fails.You also want to inspect the throttle body wiring for any damage, make sure there's no cracks in the wiring, room of the connector and make sure that inside the connector the terminals are still tight and not splayed apart and open where the mail pins that are on the throttle body insert into the connector on the engine harness.What throttle body did you replace your original throttle body with? Can you link me to it? Just require changing that connector on the harness?I'm going to link you to a video that I made for my YouTube channel called GermanAutoInstitute.This video details in great depth what causes a throttle body faults, and how to repair them.I looked at a picture of your OEM throttle body and unfortunately just like later model VW and Audi vehicles, the manufacturer went to great lengths to prevent you from being able to actually clean and repair the throttle body. Your housing is actually not able to be disassembled because it's crimped shut.The possible good news is I Googled larger throttle bodies for your vehicle and found that they seem to mostly be using throttle position sensors in them that can be disassembled just like the ones in the video I'm sending.If you have one of those, then follow the instructions in the video to try to repair the throttle body faults.If you have the other style that is crimp shot, you can try to cut it open with a knife or a Dremel tool and clean it like the video shows, but often they've also made it so some of the components are connected to that cover and when you open it up it just breaks permanently so definitely make sure there's one local if you need to drive the vehicle and you're going to give this a shot.I don't recommend buying a used throttle body because this is very common.https://youtu.be/YcmA2Yc3JJwIf I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that is the only way this site will compensate me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept. Please let me know if the throttle body that you have installed has the clips that allow you to disassemble the sensor housing or not.