Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Dodge ram with 5.7 hemi I was driving on

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have a...
Second opinion] I have a 2005 Dodge ram with 5.7 hemi I was driving on highway it started to shutter as if trans was going out engine light came on and when I came to a stop it died I could it had a missfire when I limped it home I checked for codes with code reader I have four codes as follows po300 po172 po175 po153 po2097 all are related to o2 sensors and or injectors also on acceleration it started making a poping sound out of plenum sound sound came from right side of engine where should I start?
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: Dodge
3/25/2018
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 29 days ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

The codes you mentioned may just be a bad oxygen sensor, but I wouldn't expect them to be related to the engine dying altogether. You could possibly have a restricted catalytic converter causing the codes and the engine to die though. There may also be an engine mechanical issue.

You may have lost fuel pressure if backfired in the plenum as it died. Does the fuel pump run now?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
the fuel pump is running after it dies when you go to start up it fires up and you can drive it but when you go to accelerate you can hear a popping to the right of the engine and it's definitely missfireing I drove 40 miles this way how much fuel pressure should I have this happened with out notice truck ran normal no check engine light just perfect!
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
You can smell fuel in the exhaust and you can see excessive consumption 1/4 tank in only 40 miles! When you put a load on the engine as to accelerate is when you here popping on right side of engine as if a spark plugs brakeing down.

I wasn't aware the problem is intermittent, I thought it died and didn't restart.

Has fuel pressure been monitored at the time the problem is happening?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The problem is not intermitant it is constant it fires up every time with a constant missfire.all o2 sensors are original except for 1 which is over 6 years old and plugs are at least hust as old installed new 65k miles ago no cell or codes prior to this current problem just checked for codes 1 week prior no codes just came back from trip from As two weeks ago no problems truck ran good normal .

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
No I don't have a fuel pressure gauge truck has a definite missfire when you rev engine in nutral you can tell it's not fireing on all eight cylinders this problem is constant.

You can try unplugging the upstream sensors and disconnect the battery to clear memory to see if it runs better without the sensors' input. If not then deeper testing is going to be required. You can either test fuel pressure or start with a running compression test.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I will buy a fuel pressure gauge how fuel pressure should I have with key on and running?

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
How much fuel pressure should I have?in psi?

Preconceptions skew test results. Check pressure under a load with the problem happening and let me know what you find.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08