Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2010 charger sxt. I installed an innovative

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 charger sxt. I installed an innovative performance chip in last night. Left battery cable off all night. Put cable back in and car started then cut off and now will not start back up

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Nope everything good. It's all almost new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Dodge?

Sxt 3.5 liter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am and just tried to reset the car by unplugging - terminal. And nothing. I don't understand why it started and ran for about 3 sec and quit all lights come on inside and everything else is working just not turning over

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/24/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

What is this "chip" you fitted, and different ECM, a IAT resistor, an OBD2 port chip, or more info please?

Gary

ECM plugged right into the wires coming out of air intake hose

ECM is the engine control module.

IAT is inlet air temp sensor, is that what you mean?

Gary

I'm so sorry I didn't receive the last response

That's ok.

Can you reconnect it as factory, and see if it restarts?

Gary

I already have
I unplugged - battery terminal almost an HR ago

I'd say you have some other issue.

You now need to scan the whole vehicle for codes set.

Sounds more like a key/immobiliser issue.

Gary

Yea I was thinking something like that. I left - terminal off all night long last night. Chip instructed me to to reset computer brain. Connect everything back this morning crunk up ran 3 sec then quit. Hadn't turned over since
What am I looking at fixing the key/imobileizer problem
My key fob did quit working the other day what would I do to fix this issue?

Put it back to stock.

Those IAT sensor "chips" are a fixed value of low resistance, that just fools the ECM into a fixed air temp, so more fuel is injected, and power timing is used to make more power. Trouble is it is only correct at one temperature, everywhere else too rich.

Very coincidental this has occurred.

If you have verified your battery is ok, then your local Dodge dealer is your best best to look at this.

Hope this helps.

Gary

How do u reset it back to stock

Can't you take this chip out, and get the car back to factory stock?

Your key is the cause of the no start.

Those chips are a cheap way of gaining power etc, but are very limited.

Gary

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary

No I'm good it's at the dealership waiting for new pcm to arrive today

Right, they are saying it needs a new PCM now?

I'm sorry to hear that.

Gary

The dealership I bought it from was a used car dealership and they warranty it themselves for 4,000 miles or 90 days and I just got it less than a month ago. The dealership that is fixing it was actually built and operated by my grandfather for over 30 yrs until he retired and sold out

Ok, so just coincidence that this chip you were adding is not the cause, and it needs a PCM?

I hope they are right for your sake.

I wish you well with this.

Gary

I think it was already going out because a few days before my new kefob quit working. And thank u for your help with this matter

Ah yes, ok.

I wish you well.

Gary

Picked my car up yesterday afternoon and it is running better than ever super fast on the top and bottom end. By the way to hell with any kind of tuning chip if I need my car tuned the dealership can do it.

That's really good news.

Glad you got a positive outcome.

Kind regards.

Gary