Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1998.5 5.9 12 valve Diesel. Think I may have gotten some bad…

Okay, 1998.5 5.9 12...

Okay, 1998.5 5.9 12 valve Diesel. Think I may have gotten some bad fuel in the tank, the next time I stopped and had to start cold it would sputter and cough until it warmed up. Well got home was close to empty and it died in the drive. Put more fuel in, new filter, bled the filter container. Would start for maybe 1 min. then die. So I installed a new lift pump, primed. The same thing happened. If I pressurize the fuel tank with air from a compressor it will stay running until I stop with the compressed air.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No not really, I only use it to pull our 7000 lb. camper maybe getting 12 mpg

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Dodge?

2500 Ram Turbo

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/23/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Hi Chris

You may have got some bad fuel and now it possibly gelled up and is partially clogging the fuel pick up strainer in the tank. You may need to drop the tank or pull the bed and pop that module out of the tank and clean the tank and strainer. The oter thing I have seen is where the vent on top of the tank gets plugged with mud and then does not allow the tank to vent, but that can be checked by just running the truck with the fuel cap off.

The fact that ir will stay running with compressed air tells me it has to be a fuel delivery issue. One other thing to check is maybe a collapesd fuel hose between the tank and the lift pump.

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Yea, I think I came to the same conclusion with the sock strainer in the tank being dirty. Was going to go that route next. Okay. Just wanted to pick a brain a little more, before I drop it. Hoping it not being the injector pump.

I doubt it is the injector pump based on your symptoms. Thank you for accepting my answer ! I will keep this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.

Have a good evening!

Chris