Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My wife was driving our 2013 Dodge Caravan on Tuesday

Customer Question
My wife was driving...

My wife was driving our 2013 Dodge Caravan on Tuesday morning to work, she said it was making dinging noise, she didn't know what was going on, then noticed that the temp gauge was all the way to H. I brought her our other car for her to drive home, then was just now able to get back to the van. I checked the radiator and it seemed empty, so since has run in 2 days, went ahead and added two gallons of water, first in the radiator till full, then the rest into the reservoir. She started it up, all seemed fine, then drove around the parking lot at work, didn't see any water dripping, she came back to where she was, we talked for about 5-7 mins, then she said the temp level showing half way (which was normal), she backed out and then I saw a puddle where she had been. I flagged her back over, I looked under, the water is leaking down from the passenger side, about 1-1/2 ft in and about 6-8inches behind the front passenger tire. What could this be?

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

It is water, could not see exactly where water is coming from, just that it is dripping down where I described

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Haven't tried anything yet, will fix it myself if it is in my limited capabilities

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I can think of at this time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/22/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 3 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

Was the A/C or Front Defrost on when the leak was occuring?

Have you removed the radiator cap since then to see if there is pure water in there or if there is some color from the coolant? This way you can compare it to the water that is leaking from the area you described to see if it is in fact leaking from the cooling system... The reason I ask these questions is because the area you are describing the water is leaking from leads me to beleive that this leak is normal condensation coming from the hvac drain tube. This is why I need to know whether or not the a/c or defroster was on.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

The AC was on, I have not looked into the radiator

If the a/c was on then the water leaking was most likely from the HVAC drain tube. Even though you added pure water to the radiator, there still should have been a small amount of coolant in the cooling system to tint the water the same color as the coolant (most likely a purplish color or redish orange) If the leak was from the cooling system the leak should have been one of these colors. If it was pure water (Clear) then it was from the HVAC and this is normal. If this is the case, you will need to dig a bit deeper to see where the leak is at... IF it was slightly tinted to the coolant color then it could possibly be a leaking heater core because if the heater core is leaking, it will come out through the HVAC drain tube...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help as long as necessary to help solve your concern. Remember, a "Positive" Rating will not close this question, You can post a reply here whenever you want, even after rating my answer! .

Well, when I checked there was residue of coolant in the liquid, so probably more than I can handle, brought to dealer this morning, they have stated it is the hose that delivers the hot water to the rear air unit, and gave me an estimate of $745! Thank you for your help, wish I could have handled it since they are charging me so much.

I Have seen that issue also in the past. The leak was most likely at the "Y" point where the hose connects and runs to the rear unit... If you would have found the leak yourself, you probably could have replaced just that "Y" fitting and could have probably saved a lot of money. The only thing is that you would have had to remove the part and take it to NAPA for them to match the part by sight as you cannot purchase just the "Y" fitting at the dealer..

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****