Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9. A couple of weeks ago…

I have a 97...

I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9. A couple of weeks ago i started noticing a flutter or thump while driving at highway speeds. There is no code, Ive changed cap, rotor, plugs and wires along with a few bad vacuum lines. seems the more I do, the worse the problem gets...any thoughts? Thanks, Fred

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Its not a noise, its more like a misfire. And about two weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am. Plugs wires, cap and rotor, and a couple of bad vacuum lines

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that i can think of

3/22/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - that is going to be a tough one - I'm going to pull up a wiring diagram just to make sure I've covered the bases before I comment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for now, lets just stick with this

OK - getting worse is not good... and I'm not saying you've done this, but carefully check your plug wires, making sure they are on the right cylinders... had one customer who was going crazy because he had the wrong information, and totally messed them up.

You have covered the ignition, except for the ignition coil.

The flutter implies you are having the ignition totally cut out, so more than one cylinder at a time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ive double checked the wires, and they are good. The truck starts and idles fine, and it does not stall or hesitate. Accelerates and shifts normally as well

Also... again not saying this is the case, I've seen brand new spark plugs cracked by a socket that is just a little too short... I caught a vehicle before it got out of the shop one time - and I called it before the tech got out the door for a test drive - he didn't believe me when I told him he had broken a new plug. Much to his surprise... I was right

So... And, a cracked plug probably won't show up until the engine is warm and under load - that is because it takes more voltage to fire the plug with a warm engine and under load - the required voltage goes up, and the spark finds a new path to ground.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The problem started before i did the plugs and all the other stuff. The old plugs looked good when i removed them, but went ahead and changed everything i could think of. Could a bad O2 censor or CAT cause problems like this? And why no codes?

So, i would recommend checking very carefully for cracked plugs.

But that does put us back at the coil.

There is a cam and crank sensor on this system, versus a pick up coil in the distributor, but typically cam and crank don't have these symptoms

Cat wouldn't do it, and neither would O2 sensor - o2 sensor would typically make it run rich

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can try a different plug and ill get a new coil. Thanks for your help and ill get back to you

No codes is because it is something causing this issue that is not monitored. If the misfire gets bad enough, it will probably set p0300, which doesnt get you any further ahead (random misfire)

Champion plugs for Dodges.

As a matter of best practices, have you had a look at compression?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have not. But Im taking the truck to my mechanic on Saturday if I dont get this resolved before.

Ok. Keep me posted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do, Thanks

Thank you for using Just Answer!

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic