Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Have pretty well-preserved 94 dakota, 140k miles, that just…

Customer Question
have pretty well-preserved 94 dakota...
have pretty well-preserved 94 dakota, 140k miles, that just missed TX inspx stkr bec of NOX. last year, somehow someway, got by on safety sticker only under 25-year exception. this year, no go, even tho truck built in 93 to be sold as 94. go figure. anyway, 'smart' guys online say run lacquer solvent thru gas tank (10:1 gas/solvent ratio) for 2 hrs at 2500 rpm to clear cat converter, then test again. oughta be ok on NOX. sounds sketchy. replacing cat seems like wasting money, tho, since truck will be safely in 'safety sticker only' (no emissions testing) in 2019. not sure what to do. what's a new cat for my dak gonna cost and is it a guaranteed NOX fix?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/22/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I would not replace the catalytic converter for nox failure, Knox is not primarily with the catalytic converter cleans out of the system it's primarily for CO2 & Co and if you're not feeling for those then I really don't think that's the issue.Nox gas only forms over combustion temperature of 1800 degrees, so it's a function of running lean.I would actually suspect that there might be a vacuum leak or something like that. Get yourself a can of brake clean, start the vehicle and spray brake cleaner around the vacuum hoses and intake manifold to listen for an increase in RPM. An increase in RPM is going to indicate the presence of a vacuum leak and then fix that leak.There are also cans of things you can buy at the auto parts store that are guaranteed to make you pass emissions, a lot of times those don't work but being that this is from Nox, which can be eliminated simply by cooling the combustion chamber I think you should be able to fix it this way.So after looking for in fixing any vacuum leaks, decreasing ignition timing will actually fix the problem as well, you don't mention what engine you have but if you have a distributor loosen the distributor up and turn the distributor in the direction that decreases engine RPM, just turn it a little bit to drop the RPM maybe 50 or a hundred RPM, you lose some engine power but if you decrease the timing you probably will be able to get the nox to drop, and then if you wanted to you could increase the timing again.You might also try running an octane booster. Between those things I think you should be able to get it through emissions.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name is ***** ***** the only way that I am compensated for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
don't worry, will rate. am getting to this project as can. will take awhile to figure where i stand, what comes next. thx for patience. t.