Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have lost oil pressure and heard the main bearings squeak…

I have lost oil...

I have lost oil pressure and heard the main bearings squeak before I got the engine killed. Just wondering about the oil pump but everything I am reading no one has heard of them going out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

06 5.9

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Dodge?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Gonna fix it myself just trying to diagnose the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Think that’s it

3/22/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Was a manual pressure gauge connected to the engine to confirm there is zero oil pressure when cranking?

No but started it yesterday and engine squeaks

If the engine is to the point of making noise, it is possible to be a bearing on the crank, cam, or rods. So an overhaul is needed or replacement. I would do a manual pressure test to see if oil pressure is actually low. If it is fine then listen around to see if the noise is coming from a source other than the internal engine. Maybe a belt driven pulley, flywheel cracked.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
The squeak is I’m sure a main bearing. Where is the pickup tube located that supplies the oil pump since it’s a gear driven unit