Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 tradesman and recently i the check…

I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 tradesman and recently i the check engine light started turning on. First it was the DEF because everytime it freezes here it effects the DEF. Now the check engine light has started flashing. When it flashes it stops the exhaust break from working and retards the power in the truck. I could go up a hill at 60-70 mph but once it flashes I have to down shift to 5th or 4th gear

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Blinks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

We have run a code reader but it only pulls up the DEF problem. Depending on the issue we will take it to a mechanic or fix ourselves

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/21/2018
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome

My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Hi there

When the check engine is flashing it is normal to start and shut the system down to prevent further damage. Can you send me the exact code that is showing up in the computer and the full vin number?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The codes are : U010C. P00AF. P003A. P0046. P203F.

Can you send me the vin number

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The 4 first codes have to do with the turbo and lost contact w/ mod "A", exceeded learning, turbocharger/ supercharger Boost control solenoid "A" circuit range/ performance
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
3C6UR5HL4FG614029
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
P203F... Reductant level too low. But I have half a tank of DEF
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Truck only has 70'000 miles on it

I am experiencing trouble with my computer, i am re opening your question to the other tech's, so please stand by and someone will be with you shortly.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Oh..... Ok
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

Do you have access to a multimeter to run a few electrical tests? It appears that you may end up needing to replace the Turbo Actuator or possibly the entire turbocharger assembly. It depends on the outcome of the diagnostics. As for the P203F, This can be caused by a few different things. Do you need the diagnostic procedure charts for these codes? They may help you diagnose it if you have the ability to perform the diagnostic procedures...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Just give me a sec to go get the multimeter and the diagnostic procedure charts would be great
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Can you send the diagnostics procedure chart

Hello, sorry for the delay.

Here is the diagnostic procedure for the U010C for starters.. --->> Click Here to view <<---

I'll need some more time to get the procedures for the rest of the codes. Let me know what you find using this chart.

I'll be back with you asap, thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is the procedures for the other codes:

P00AF--->> Click Here to view <<---

P003A--->> Click Here to view <<---

P0046--->> Click Here to view <<---

P203F--->> Click Here to view <<---

From the descriptions of these codes, I'm starting to supsect either a wiring issue or a failed Turbo Actuator.

On the P203F, If this code won't clear, you may need to visit the dealer so they can run a few tests on the DEF fluid and on the DEF injector. They may need to flush out the DEF tank if the Fluid is contaminated or has degraded. The DEF injector may need to be cleaned to restore proper spray pattern..

Lastly, you have some outstanding recalls --->> Click Here to view <<---

The S87 addresses a DEF system issue. The P203F code should be solved by having this recall performed....

Other recalls are software updates and safety recalls so it is HIGHLY recommended to have these done ASAP

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Oh. Thank you soooo much! I will be taking this to the dealer for sure. Thank you. I am going to get this situated. I can't be hauling my family and stock trailers full of horses with this truck acting up. I'd hate to be stranded where we live. Haha. You've been a great help. Its pouring rain right now so I am going to have to run diagnostics tomorrow before the next storm.

How many miles are on your truck?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
70,000

If this is the case, I HIGHLY recommend to just take it to the dealer for that concern also. You may need to tow it if the dealer is too far but the turbocharger problem should be covered under your 5/100 engine warranty.... especially if the problem ends up being a Turbocharger Replacement. If it ends up being a wiring issue, it will likely not be covered but it is well worth not messing with it until the dealer has had a chance to look at it. You don't want to chance voiding your warranty by going in there and leaving any traces that anyone has been there... wink wink...

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
The dealer is 100miles so AAA should be able to tow it there luckily. We have a towing company as well but our flat bed is just a bit short for the truck. Its the 4 door long bed tradesman. So hopefully or local AAA has a long enough bed hahah thank you for your time and effort to help on this. I was really losing faith in this truck to the point of going back to the 7.3 power stroke. Haha �� at least I can work on those trucks and don't have to mess with DEFALSO do you know anything about California and the DEF system in the near future needing to be deleted from the systems of these newer trucks

07 and older Dodge with the 5.9 and you won't have to deal with DEF or DPF...

Sorry, not familiar with California and DEF???

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master