Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Express 2.4L. My car began to…

I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Express 2.4L. My car began to overheat about a month ago and we discovered a coolant leak at the thermostat housing and that has been fixed...no more leaks but now.... My car is running hotter than normal only when I'm driving though...coolant is full, oil is full, transmission is full, and no leaks all hoses good...Im at a loss?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Which gaskets? I know we replaced the ones in the thermostat housing

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

It had a radiator flush in 9/2017 at an auto place, we noticed the antifreeze smell a month ago and saw leaking at the thermostat housing so we replaced both thermostats and gaskets for that housing

3/21/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

When you replaced the thermostat, did you make sure you have the correct part number?

my husband got the parts from oreilly so im assuming they were the right ones

Aftermarket parts are not always the correct on especially if you were not having this problem before the repair. I would suggest that you have him recheck the part number with the factory part number to be sure its the correct temperature for your 2.4. The OEM factory part number for your 2011 2.4 is 55111016AC. The part store should be able to cross-reference there the number to the factory part number to be sure its the correct heat range.

if its not that what else would you guess is the culprit?also my car has 2 thermostats so is that part # for both?

Yes you have a primary and a secondary thermostat and the part number is ***** same for both. If it turns out both are the correct heat range then I would suspect that you may have some trapped air in the cooling system. The 2.4 can be tough to bleed if the proper equipment is not used. The best way to bleed the cooling system on your 2.4 is to use a vacuum bleeder.

Can i do that at home?

Yes if you have access to a vacuum bleeder and shop air. See the steps to do this in the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwUHkee-ovw

ok thank you!

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician