Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. Lately it stalls at stop

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500. Lately it stalls at stop lights and the check gages light comes on. Also, the air conditioner doesn’t blow cold air. I’m wondering about a tune up. It has almost 113,000 miles. Can you give me any ideas as to what I need to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

Check engine light is not on. It will stall at lights or stops when I press the brakes. Doesn’t stall while driving, but seems to not have a smooth idle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven’t done anything. I have had very few problems with it. I get the oil changes done and have it maintained as well as I can.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just really wondering what to do. I’m female and it’s my only vehicle. I’ve driven it for 10 years.

3/21/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Which engine?

How many miles are on the current spark plugs?

Does it only stall when stopped and braking or will it also stall when stopped in park or neutral without applying the brakes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe it’s a 5.7, Hemi. Spark plugs haven’t been changed that I know of. It only stalls when stopped and braking.

Thanks, ***** ***** occurs as you come to a stop and you get the feeling the transmission torque converter is still locked in like coming to a stop without pressing in the clutch while driving a manual transmission. If that is what you get then it is the converter or converter clutch solenoid.

If it occurs after you have come to a complete stop then I suggest you do that tuneup, and clean the carbon from the throttle body bore and plate.

In park if you can get the rpms to drop a lot when applying and releasing the brakes then you have a vacuum issue to blame.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your help. I have suspected the spark plugs need to be changed. I can usually figure out what’s up. You have been very helpful and have given me some other things to consider. I appreciate your help and your willingness to help me. Thanks again!

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician