Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 02' Dakota with a 3.9L, getting a P0175 code. Have…

I have an 02' Dakota...
I have an 02' Dakota with a 3.9L, getting a P0175 code. Have recently R&R the heads along with all the gaskets, thermostat, injectors with remans and the pickup screen in the tank. I did replace one vacuum hose for a valve under the fuse and relay box with the correct size though. Also cleaned up the throttle body, but didn't replace no sensors on it.The reason for all the work was low compression on #3 cylinder. I found a burnt valve on the intake. The truck has ran great for about 2000 miles and that's when this code came up. Have checked the vacuum hoses for cracks, breaks or if they've fallen off. Have found none, did replace the 02 sensors up and downstream on the right side. The downstream tip orifice was beginning to plug up. Checked the coolant temp with a gun and compared it to the scanner there is about 35 degrees difference. I am thinking it needs to be changed. Am I on the right track? If that doesn't turn out to be bad any suggestions? Thanks Kevin
Sorry I am thinking the coolant temp sensor is needing to be changed?
3/21/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. 35 degree difference is a fair amount. I like to see under a 10 degree difference, so you may want to try a new coolant sensor. However I have placed the diagnostic procedure in the link below. It will open up in a PDF format and hopefully will help you diagnose this.

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra, and does not close this session. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Thanks Chris I'll run some more tests before swapping out the sensor. There's some good stuff in the troubleshooting tree. Thanks again.
You are welcome my friend! Thank you for accepting my answer! I will leave this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.Chris