Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2006 Ram 1500 with 4.7 4wd won't change gears with I take…

Hello. My 2006...

Hello. My 2006 Ram 1500 with 4.7 4wd won't change gears with I take off. Two codes came up; p0750 and p0700. What do the 2 codes mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

The transmission is original. It feels like the brakes are on but the transmission doesn't shift. The truck is at another place because I had to get home so I can't check the brake switch. What would the brake switch have to do with the transmission? Would the 2 codes still come up?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I usually do my own work, but I want to understand how difficult this might be so I can decide what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Mainly I want to know if this is deep in the transmission or easier than taking it completely apart

3/20/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic

Hi there - I'm looking into this for you - I'll be with you shortly.

The P0700 is a code stating that there is a transmission code, and that the check engine light has been requested. So, not much to diagnose there. The transmission has defaulted into one gear, so that is why the acceleration isn't good.

What about the p0750 code? I want to understand if I can fix this or if I need to take it to a transmission place?

The P0750 is a code that relates to the LR (low Reverse) solenoid in the transmission. It could be the solenoid itself, or wiring. I'm looking into the procedures at the moment.

Set Condition
After three consecutive solenoid continuity test failures, or one failure if test is run in response to a gear ratio or pressure switch error. Note: This DTC is strictly an electrical fault and does not apply to any internal transmission failures.

Possible Causes
- RELATED TIPM TCM DTCS PRESENT
- (T20) LR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO OTHER CIRCUITS
- (T20) LR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
- (T20) LR SOLENOID CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
- TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/TRS ASSEMBLY
- POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

I'm still looking for pictures, etc.

Thank you. I want to do this myself if possible

Have you ever taken a valve body out of an automatic transmission before? The labor time on this is 1.7 hours, so the pan comes off, the valve body is dropped, the solenoid pack is replaced, reassembly, add oil...

No I have not done this before. Could you not locate any pictures? I'm better with visuals

Do you have an email address?

You've seen the transmission pan, correct?

I can't send pics through the chat boxes. Sorry

I can send pics via email.

Thank you. My email is***@******.*** I have seen the transmission pan

Getting the procedures

REMOVAL

NOTE: If the Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly is being replaced, the Quick Learn Procedure must be performed.

1. Raise vehicle on hoist.
2. Remove valve body assembly from transmission.

3. Remove Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly retaining screws (2) from solenoid.

4. Remove Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly (1) and screen from valve body (2).

INSTALLATION

NOTE: If the Solenoid/Pressure Switch assembly is being replaced, the Quick Learn Procedure must be performed.

1. Install Solenoid/Pressure Switch Assembly (1) and screen (3) to the separator and transfer plates.

2. Install and tighten retaining screws (2) to 5.5 Nm (50 inch lbs.) torque.
3. Install valve body.

More pics on the way

INSTALLATION

1. Check condition of seals on valve body and the solenoid and pressure switch assembly. Replace seals if cut or worn.
2. Place TRS selector plate in the PARK position.
3. Place the transmission in the PARK position.
4. Lubricate seal on the solenoid and pressure switch assembly connector with petroleum jelly.
5. Position valve body in transmission and align the manual lever on the valve body to the pin on the transmission manual shift lever.

6. Seat valve body in case and install one or two bolts to hold valve body in place.
7. Tighten valve body bolts alternately and evenly to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) torque.

CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal MUST be fully installed flush against the oil pump body. DO NOT install the seal onto the filter neck and attempt to install the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to the transmission will result.

8. Install a new primary oil filter seal in the oil pump inlet bore. Seat the seal in the bore with the butt end of a hammer, or other suitable tool.
9. Place replacement filter (1) in position on valve body and into the oil pump.
10. Install screw to hold filter to valve body. Tighten screw to 4.5 Nm (40 inch lbs.) torque.
11. Connect the solenoid and pressure switch assembly connector.
12. Install oil pan. Tighten pan bolts to 12 Nm (105 inch lbs.) torque.
13. Lower vehicle and fill transmission with Mopar ATF +4.
14. Check and adjust gearshift cable, if necessary

I still need to see some sort of diagram

I will be honest with you - OK, so I've been a tech for 20+ years. This is not a job I would attempt on my back under the truck, or really even on ramp stands, for that matter. If I had access to a pit, then maybe... If you have never been into an automatic transmission, then there are a few ways to mess it up... Cleanliness is critical. Torque is critical - these are in inch pounds, so that typically is a little smaller of a torque wrench than most enthusiasts have at their disposal. You must torque the valve body and such, otherwise, it probably won't work.

Filter installation is critical, or the transmission will burn up.

So... for 1.7 hours labor, I would consider taking it to the shop. Automatic transmissions are finicky.

A wiring diagram?

Have you cleared the codes, and they have reappeared?

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Mechanic
No I had not gotten your answer when I asked for a diagram. Thanks

OK.

Thank you. Hope it works out well. Canuck