Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram van 1500 with 3.9 that dies when…

I have a 2000...

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram van 1500 with 3.9 that dies when running and then wont start for long period of time, what can I do

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Not basic electrical issue, seems to be sensor overheating intermittently

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram Van 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, and even sent to mechanic buddy and scratching our heads. have extensive understanding of basic mechanics

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Replaced pcm, distributor pick-up. crankshaft sensor, ignition coil, new cap, rotor, and wires.

3/20/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Was the fuel pressure ever tested to see if this is a low fuel pressure issue at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

fuel pressure is great, new fuel pump and also tested fine. Strange thing that when starts runs for moment like starving for fuel similar to dirty fuel filter then dies. Starts up great immediately following, runs for block then dies without notice. No idiot lights, nothing on O'Reily testing box. But after that fuel pump does not prime and fuel gauge stays at zero even though tank is full.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are setting with this issue here?

I am sorry don't have money to talk on phone, repairs have pushed me into having to wait on next checks kinda thing.

No problem on the call.That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.We can continue here.

as I said before no fault codes (idiot lights) or plug-in computer. Seems to be when truck warms up then has problem guickly and then won't start for day or two and only runs for 15 minutes or less.
I have to switch to email for this conversation as I have to get out of office and can have friend respond to email for me

Do you have a scan tool that displays a data list to observe the PCM ( engine computer ) data signals when this issue occurs?

Have done and new replaced pcm.

Can you read the data signals in the instrument cluster to see if it shows a data signal for correct fuel level when the fault occurs when the gauge reads empty?

Same problem still exists
Can try but why would it change and what could cause that?

This will help to see if you have a fault in the instrument gauge cluster ( as the instrument gauge cluster is a main computer in your vehicle ) or an issue with wiring leading from the PCM to the cluster.

If you can read fuel level signals in the PCM when the issue occurs and the fuel level signals are all correct with the amount of fuel in the tank then see if you can read the fuel level signals in the instrument gauge cluster on a scan tools data list.If the fuel level signals are correct compared to the fuel in the tank then the instrument gauge cluster needs replaced.If the fuel level signals are showing empty like the gauge in the instrument cluster data signals list then I suspect a wiring fault from the PCM to the instrument cluster or from the PCM to the fuel pump assembly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Good morning Pete, picking up on conversation we had before. I still need to get van towed to shop. However now the mileage gauge is flashing a trouble code of 5 and then says No BuS. Any ideas why won't start still?
Hello Pete you there

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last couple of days.

With the NO BUS fault this is leaning more towards a possible faulty PCM but I would still have the wiring checked for any issues first before replacing it.There is also a chance it is the instrument cluster as it can set off this NO BUS fault but in most cases it is the wiring or the PCM itself.

Thanks Pete