Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Abs and park brake light intermittently on, 1997 Dakota RWAL…

Customer Question
Abs and park brake light...
Abs and park brake light intermittently on, 1997 Dakota RWAL replaced differential sensor, ohms are in spec, found the cab module but couldn't find the connector to short to ground to flash codes, looking for some guidance to find said connection, find code and solve said issue.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/20/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

try this, it works with all dodges, if not that way go to off to acc 3 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oah4oYx7TJw

Won't show abs codes, have the ground the module to flash the codes, not even our shops snapon Solus pro scanner will show abs codes, because that year with the rear wheel abs needs to be manually seen by flash codes

have you tried jumping pin 5 and 12 on the DLC?

12 is a blank terminal, but the abs system is separate from the dlc I need to find the location of the service data link connection for the abs module, connect the black wire to ground for 2 seconds then it will flash the code be blinking the abs light correspondingly. Do you know where they are located the the Dakota's I've looked on the driver's side and passenger side, the abs module is behind the glove box but I can't see any noticable connectors, apparently there's supposed to be a 2 pin connector that must be unplugged to be shorted to ground to flash the codes

ive been looking for the dlc for abs and cont find anything in my system, ill open it back up to the others for further assistance

Awesome thanks man
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 3 months ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

New expert here. Is pin 13 of the dlc populated? Does it have a wire in it?

Black with a white stripe, my service manual said the service data like connector must be grounded out to flash the codes, since the abs is separated from the pcm in that year, but let me know if there is something else I can do cause I can't find that connector

Our dealership service info has us plug in a breakout box to the dlc and ground pin 13 on the breakout box, and then count the flashes. Try grounding pin 13 momentarily and see if it causes the system to flash codes.

I'LL try that at coffee break here and get back to you
Did it there was one long flash to start then 3 after that
From what I read it's a open dump valve or open in the wiring, or bad module
Do you know where the dump valve is located so I can test the wiring, it's a intermittent issue so I'm leaning g towards that, but I just want to make Shure before I get a new module

The dump valve is internal to the hydraulic control unit, so you'd end up changing the complete hydraulic assembly if you condemned the dump valve.

Just checking back with you to see how you made out.

Trying to find a control module, going to have to pull one from the junkyard, unless there is a way to pull apart and clean, the assembly. But I checked the wiring it looked good, can't get to the connector at the cab, (behind the glovebox) to continuity check,

Thanks for the follow-up. I was just curious. Thanks.