Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2017 Cummins won't start says def service see dealer. No…

My 2017 Cummins won't...

My 2017 Cummins won't start says def service see dealer

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No haven't done that. Is the DEF service not the cause?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 Dodge?

2011

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well once I get it to start again, I am taking it to a mechanic for anothert issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

How do I pay for the help here?

Mechanic's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

OK.... yes there are a couple of other things. I bought the truck recently and the DEF pump was disconnected. I re-connected it and put several gallons in the DEF tank. The truck only has a couple of gallons of diesel lrft in the tank. Since I can't get it to start I can't get to town to fill.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry...it is a 2011 year model not a 2017
3/19/2018
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Let's start by getting more info about your vehicle... Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
3D6WZ4CL5BG504713
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
254,000 MILES

Unfortunately, unless you have access to a dealer level scan tool, you will have no choice but to tow it to the dealer so they can scan and diagnose the problem. Being that the DEF Pump was disconnected, that may be why you are getting the message on the dash and a no start concern. The DEF system when there is a fault WILL disable the engine and not allow it to start. The only way to get it started is to re-enable the ECM using a factory level scan tool. They will also scan for codes and let you know what you need to do to fix the problem. You will need to fix the problem before the ECM will allow resetting so that the engine will start.

Another option is to find someone that can "Program out" the Aftertreatment system (DEF and DPF) and re enable the engine. Either option is going to likely cost you upwards of $1000 to get it running....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK...that will help me a bunch. Can I buy a Factory Level Scan tool?

Sure.. CLICK HERE

I'm not sure about pricing or subsription pricing but they should be able to answer your questions.

They appear to be authorized by Official WiTech and TechAuthority.

I work at a dealer so we obtain our tools via the dealer source for special tools....

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master