Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I HAVE A 2010 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN WITH A 3.8 M0T0R 214000 MI…

Customer Question
HELLO AGAIN I HAVE A...
HELLO AGAIN I HAVE A 2010 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN WITH A 3.8 M0T0R 214000 MI WHEN I GO TO START THE CAR ALL I GET IS A CLICK FROM THE STARTER I REPLACED THE STARTER BATTERY IS NEW AND GOOD CLICK THE KEY A COUPLE OF TIMES AND IT CATCHES AND STARTS ITS THE KEY THAT YOU DONT HAVE TO HOLD IN THE START POSITION ---- PLEASE HELP DOM
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
3/19/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

If you HOLD the key in START position can you verify that you are not getting power at the small signal wire at the starter motor. I doubt you are, but I'd like to be 100% sure when it doesn't crank that the small signal wire to the starter motor isn't hot.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hello Ed thanks for taking my call no current to that small wire

OK, but if you turn the key and keep turning it to start position it eventually fires up correct? what about putting the transmission in neutral? does that make any difference?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
tried the trans selector several times nothing but like you said if I keep turning the key to start maybe 6 to 8 times it will catch and start thanks again dom

Alright, that tells me all the fuses are good, because if any fuses were bad it would never start until the fuse was replaced. Starter relay is in position K3 in the TIPM fuse box. Also the top of the TIPM should be labelled. temporarily swap it with another relay if you haven't and see if that helps. Let me know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ed your talking under hood fuse box correct --- when I tap on the fuse box it starts dom

Yes, I'm talking about that fuse box. So if somebody holds the key in START and you tap on that box it starts??

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ed is it possible that my problem lies in the box itself I put a new relay in and it worked several times I thought I had it then same thing when I wiggle the relay it catches I don't think I can have 3 bad relays is there a known problem with these boxes thanks dom

Yes, there is a known problem with them Dom. Big time problem with that box on various model JEEP and Chryslers and Dodge. Call local dealer and make sure there isn't any open recalls on it. I know they had a recall on the ignition switch, but it would cut the car off and wasn't so much related to cranking issues, but I would still check for any open recalls. if another relay doesn't fix it, then it will need a new fuse box on it. or you can send it out for repair. there are a few TIPM rebuilders out there. (google TIPM repair) but I can't really recommend one over the other. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you!

If your all set please don't forget to rate the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page. If you need to ask us anything else just let us know. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ed my apologies for not getting back -- there is a problem with the TIPM for sure most likely in the board several companies make them and its a plug and play unit ---- just another day in paradise thanks for your help ---- dom
Absolutely Dom. If your all set please don't forget to rate the question. If you need any further help just let us know. Thank you.
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician