Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Sprinter 2500. I just had new struts, A arms…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Sprinter 2500. I just had new struts, A arms strut mounts and stabilizer links installed, but it has a bad case of memory steer. I had the alignment checked, and they adjusted the toe-in, it was toed in too much, but it has too little caster, which is non-adjustable. The caster spec is: .3 degrees to 1.8 degrees. My actual caster is: LH .1degrees, RH minus .4 degrees.

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

Ride is good, no fluid leaks.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The work was done by a professional diesel repair shop.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The alignment shop (different than the repair shop) told me that some Dodge trucks around this era had similar problems when non-Dodge ball joints were installed. I don’t know if the a-arms were Dodge genuine parts or not.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
3/19/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you get the part number for the control arm and ball joints that were installed?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll try, and get back to you ASAP.

Sounds good.If I do not reply back when you reply I will as soon as I can.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The control arm assemblies came complete with ball joints. They are Moog part #s 9CB25077 and 9CB25078. The strut mounts are # FM1655. The struts are # 553002. The sway bar links are # K80854. If any of those are not Moog parts, then they are from Precision.

I apologize for the delay as I had to head out yesterday and couldnt get back here until now.

Those part numbers look to be correct for your model.But if the control arms are a little out of specification ( even though they do show correct fit ) this will cause the TOE issue you are seeing.If everything else is o.k. and there is no other damaged steering or suspension components or a damaged frame at all then it may be a good idea to have the control arms re checked to see if these after market direct fit are slightly out of specifications.

Here is the right side control arm needed according to my info:

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-lower-control-arm-5136057ab

Here is the left side control arm needed according to my info:

https://www.mymoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-lower-control-arm-5104578ab

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician