Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a Chrysler Jeep Cherokee 2205 that I just had a new

Customer Question

I have a Chrysler Jeep Cherokee 2205 that I just had a new engine put in. I got it back and drove it less than 12 miles and then the check engine light came on and the dealership said I had to have a new transmission at the cost of 973.00. I’ve never had any problems with my transmission could this have been caused by something that was done at the time of installation of the motor.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: The light only came on once.
JA: What year is your Cherokee?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took back to the dealership that installed the new motor and charged me 5053.00 and the very next day the transmission goes out according to them and they now want to charge me $973.00 for the repairs and kept my car for 3 months to fix it. I’ve never experienced transmission problems ever with this vehicle.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Can you tell me the actual fault code it is that set when the check engine light came on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Please give me one minute I'm checking with service department for that code.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Sure, take as long as you need. Post back when your ready and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The code was T0876
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They said there was water in the deal or something to that effect.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Excuse me I meant to say seal
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I hate to be a bother but I need an answer soon since I have to meet with the dealership shortly.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

The code would be a P0876, was this the only code, did they recheck the fluid level to be sure its full?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He said it was was a T0876 not P they said there was water in the fluid
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

There is no code T0876 , and if you have water in the fluid and it was run that way for any period of time then it could have damaged the transmission. Seems pretty odd to me that it was working okay before you have the engine replaced.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.

Well if you were able to drive it back to the dealer to have the check engine light being on checked, that sure does not sound like you need a new transmission. I think if I where you I would get a second opinion before you consider replacing the transmission. Even the cost of a replacement transmission they are quoting is suspicious. The average price on a reman Jeep Transmission usually runs $1500 or more.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I didn't receive your last reply could you resend
Expert:  Ron replied 8 months ago.