Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a Chrysler Jeep Cherokee 2205 that I just had a new…

Customer Question
I have a Chrysler...

I have a Chrysler Jeep Cherokee 2205 that I just had a new engine put in. I got it back and drove it less than 12 miles and then the check engine light came on and the dealership said I had to have a new transmission at the cost of 973.00. I’ve never had any problems with my transmission could this have been caused by something that was done at the time of installation of the motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

The light only came on once.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Cherokee?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took back to the dealership that installed the new motor and charged me 5053.00 and the very next day the transmission goes out according to them and they now want to charge me $973.00 for the repairs and kept my car for 3 months to fix it. I’ve never experienced transmission problems ever with this vehicle.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you tell me the actual fault code it is that set when the check engine light came on?

Please give me one minute I'm checking with service department for that code.

Sure, take as long as you need. Post back when your ready and we can work from there.

The code was T0876
They said there was water in the deal or something to that effect.
Excuse me I meant to say seal
I hate to be a bother but I need an answer soon since I have to meet with the dealership shortly.

The code would be a P0876, was this the only code, did they recheck the fluid level to be sure its full?

He said it was was a T0876 not P they said there was water in the fluid

There is no code T0876 , and if you have water in the fluid and it was run that way for any period of time then it could have damaged the transmission. Seems pretty odd to me that it was working okay before you have the engine replaced.

Well if you were able to drive it back to the dealer to have the check engine light being on checked, that sure does not sound like you need a new transmission. I think if I where you I would get a second opinion before you consider replacing the transmission. Even the cost of a replacement transmission they are quoting is suspicious. The average price on a reman Jeep Transmission usually runs $1500 or more.

I didn't receive your last reply could you resend