Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Dodge 1500 3.7- engine cranks, no start. no power to…

2002 Dodge 1500 3.7- engine...
2002 Dodge 1500 3.7- engine cranks, no start. no power to the injectors. no spark. no fuel. I heard the fuel pump came on with key on. Put a noid light tester on one of the injectors and I got no pulse when I cranked key. No pulse. No spark at plugs.
3/18/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no codes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no thank you on the call just yet. I have no spark, I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump start. checked injector connections with noid light and not getting any pulse. engine cranks and no spark to the plugs and no pulse.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I also checked all fuses and ASD relay

Thank you for that information. Does the ignition coil(s) have power while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no, I did put my volt meter across 2 connectors while I was cranking and got no reading. also put grounded spark plug to the block and got no spark

Thank you for that information. If the computer is awake and powers up and there are no base engine mechanical issues with the engine, the most likely possible causes for this issue would be a faulty camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
on my scantool it showed RPMS working when I cranked the motor which tells me that the crank sensor should be good so shouldn't I be getting a spark at plug

Have you verified the correct inputs to the ASD relay while cranking?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you mean am I getting voltage reading to relay when cranking?

voltage and a ground signal trigger.

If you have checked this, which pins have what when cranking at the ASD relay?

What is missing preventing the ASD relay from activating?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I will try this next. Can I just jump out and bypass the relay to see if it will run or will this fry something?

You might be able to successfully do this, but I would not recommend it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I understand. Can I get back to you when I follow which pins have what when cranking?

Most certainly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you

Your welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
will I be talking to you again or someone else I don't want to go through this all over again

if you reply back to me on this page, I will get it and reply back so we can continue.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you, I'll get back to you tomorrow

Sounds good your welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Customer I haven't rated you yet because we are not done with the problem. I had to step away from it for a few days as I am at my other job on shift work and will get back to the truck in a couple of days, also will get back with you. thanks

Sounds good thanks for the heads up.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
On the asd relay I have pins86 87 30 and 85 pin 87a not used with key off I have12.7 v at pin30 and at pin 85 with key on engine off I get 12.7 volts between 85 and 86 that’s energizing the coil 30 remains hot
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Also my combo switch on column the blinkers and high beam and wiper not working and gas gauge when I turn key to on is not moving I know I have gas in it

That is likely related to the no start condition.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I’ll replace combo switch and I’ll get back too you on that thanks again with my schedule I’ll get back too you in a couple of days sorry for the delay

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thankyou!

Your welcome

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I replaced switch with new one wipers still not working is there a fuse block inside truck

Hello!

May I get the VIN please?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
1d7ha16kx2j233031

Thank you.

According to my references, there is only one fuse block on the vehicle as per this VIN. It is the integrated power distribution module located under the hood. No fuse block inside the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Checked all fuses again all look good I need a schematic when I turn koeo the wipers cycle a couple of times then stop in the middle of window blinkers not working wipers not working emergency blinkers work high beam works I’m confused even more now
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Great let me check out looks like on demand schematic I'll get back to you with info thanks for your patience

Sounds good your welcome

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hi can you send me schematic engine control circuit cam senser crank senser etc. thanks
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Any info on removal of wiper motor
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I’m good with wiper motor just need schematics of engine controls

yes, can you post your VIN please?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
1d7ha16kx2j233031 also I think problem could be coming from ignition switch the plug has 12 or so wires plugging into switch if possible could I get schematic for ignition switch I put new combo switch in and my blinkers and wipers aren’t working only thing working is emergency blinkers I jumped out wiper motor at motor and it works?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thankyou Can I also get schematic for engine control circuits
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
thankyou again I’ll get back too you thanks for your patients !

Your welcome

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hi could I get location of crank sensor please

Sure. Can you please rate my answer so I get credit for assisting you thus far?

Thank you.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I can but is this end of your help

No, we can still continue this conversation even after you rate my answer.

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Thank you. One moment while I post a picture of the crank sensor location

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Thankyou
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Well so far I put new crank and cam senser in new multifunction wiper/blinker switch in check fuses check 5 volt too both sensers key on have reference voltage have voltage to relays for wiper motor circuit according to schematics where do you recommend I go now ? The truck had no problems started up all the time without incident wiper motor delay wasn’t working right but wipers in low and high worked fine and blinkers worked too I’m more concerned with the no start situation where should I go now?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
At this point I’ll have too go phone way it will be easier to explain

Sounds good.

Please request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Working on it having problem getting payment thru I’ll let you know thanks

Sounds good no problem. Looking forward to speaking with you on the phone.

Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Tiring to call getting recording
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
Trying too call I only getting recording
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
I have ground at pin 86 when cranking?

Ok then check to see if the ASD relay activates when cranking.

If so, check for power going out of the ASD relay while cranking and check power at the ignition coils and injectors while cranking.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Will do thanks

You bet

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Is asd relay pin 87 wire a common wire going too coil and fuel injectors last question for tonight

YES sir it is.

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Thankyou have a good nite
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
On schematic for asd relay where does wire coming from pin 87 dg/y go too?

.

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
No continuity from pin 87 too injector or coil I’m going to start checking wires talk soon

Sounds good

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
Thankyou
Customer reply replied 16 days ago
HiCustomerdo you have any info on getting battery holder out of engine compartment have all bolts out still something holding it in any pics

I might be able to send over some pics.

However, can you send me some pictures of what you have?

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Good news must have been connection issue when I unplugged connectors from fuse block and checked continuity from connector end too coil and injector plug ends I got good reading plugged all connectors back in tried to start I noticed gauges fluctuated when I turn key and started up plus all functions working again on wiper combo switch blinkers etc the only thing not functioning is my intermittent function on wiper switch I have high and low working any idea where to start looking for intermittent problem

Hello!

That is great news. Glad to hear it is now working. No clue where to look for the problem. Especially when I am not there in front of the vehicle. You will need to get it to act up and run some tests to pinpoint where the "faulty connection" is.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician