Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge magnum 5.7, 2005 is overheating

Customer Question
Dodge magnum 5.7, 2005...

Dodge magnum 5.7, 2005 is overheating

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
3/18/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

What have you done so far to troubleshoot this ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing ... the car is cooling down in my garage ...

ok can you tell me the driving conditions when it happened and are you going to be working on this yourself or take it somewhere and need advice

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to work on it myself. Driving conditions are good ... 90'000 mileage. Car was low on coolant 2 weeks ago, but i filled it up. Was fine since then. But today I smelled coolant while driving short distance and at home there was steam coming from the radiator. I am asking myself if it could be the Thermostat or the Waterpump or what the most current problem is for this type of car. It seems as if others with this car had similar issues.

You may have a possible leak, if you dont have one already you can rent a coolant pressure tester at your local auto parts store, you will want to fill the system and pressure test it for leaks, the coolant has to be going somewhere

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why would the car overheat ... the coolant level is still good.

that could be a few thing you wold want to check your fans to see if they are operating properly, check thermostat to see if its opening, and if both of those are ok cold spots in the radiator, that would be flow restriction

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
you wrote at the begin that you prefer to do it with text ... and now you want to do it with the phone? Doesn't make sense ... I want some real experienced advice from a Dodge mechanic!

thanks for the backhanded comment, and if you would have kept reading its a automated system prompted phone call not me, are you always this nice to people trying to help you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ooph, didn't know you are off balance that quickly ...

so did you check anything at all yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not yet, but I will start with checking the fans ... then replace the Thermostat if the fans are OK. I have a new thermostat here to replace ... shouldn't be too difficult.

ok

Jerry, Master Mechanic