Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 02 Dodge 1500 4.7l parked in my driveway. It sat…

I have an 02...

I have an 02 Dodge 1500 4.7l parked in my driveway. It sat for about a week or 2 and just decided not to start. It cranks, but that's it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

They look oK. I charged it due to too much cranking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Sounds like the fuel pump turns on for a few seconds. It appears there is no spark. I pulled a plug, put on another plug and tried cranking. I saw no spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I checked fuses, all good. tried checking power at PCM (12V and ground, but nothing at the connector C1.

Correction on the spark check. I pulled a plug wire, plugged in an extra spark plug I had, grounded plug to engine and tried cranking. Saw no spark.
Turned engine on-off-on-off-on. Got code P 00340 on the odometer.
Disconnect the camshaft sensor, tried to start. craned 20 sec. never a sputter.
3/18/2018
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Is the ignition coil (ignition system) getting powered up while cranking it over?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Again, checked pins 22 on connector 1 to what I believe is the PCM. It was the top 32 pin connector to the module on the back of the firewall on the passenger side. There are 3 connectors the same style in a row. Is that the same I didn't read any voltage. Checked 31 and 32 to the same point, didn't even get continuity to ground. I would think I would have that. Tried the voltage check with ignition key in and turn to run position and without key in/on. same.
Not sure about the igitin coil or how to check.

Are you asking which are the power supplies to the PCM?

Initially just tell you everything I did so far in an attempt to figure out why it would start.
Was reviewing other answers to the same problem and they went down the PCM area and checking voltages on the connector I believe.

Got it, thank you for that information. It might be best to speak on the phone as there is a log of information here to cover.

But your first step would be to check for power going to the ignition coil while cranking.

Let me check that.

sounds good

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Phone call session started
CustomerOnce I got time again and went back through and checked the camshaft and crankshaft sensors again, I found the camshaft sensor wire chew through/broken around the connector end. Spliced the wire and the truck fired right up. Thanks for the help.

YUP! That will do it!

Glad to hear it is up and running.

Thanks for the heads up!

Customer/p>