Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 dodge 1500 with 4.7 engine. does not want to…

I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 dodge 1500 with 4.7 engine. does not want to start when cold, after about 30 attempts will usually start and will start the rest of the day. Also has shut down while driving on several occasions. have changed both camshaft and crankshaft sensors, starter relay and ignition switch. any sugestions.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes changed ignition switch, camshaft and crankshaft sensors

3/18/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello , my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I am a shop foreman at a Dodge dealer and have seen this before, and it is almost always the fuel pump. There is a check valve in the pump that can leak which can allow the fuel in the fuel rail and line to drain back into the tank when the truck sits overnight. Then it takes a lot of cranking in the morning to prime the lines and rails before it will start.

So I recommend having the fuel pump replaced. I am 99% sure this will take care of it.

Chris

but when we checked the fuel pressure it was at 50

But it was running when you checked it correct? The pump itself is ok, it is the check valve in the pump that is the problem, and only when it sits overnight.

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Phone call session started