Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 03 ram 2500hd with 5.9 cummings. and 240k miles.

Good morning. I...

Good morning. I have an 03 ram 2500hd with 5.9 cummings. and 240k miles. recently i have a high fuel rail pressure rattle P0088 code and hard starts. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I think its in the fuel rail or under the valve cover. I change the fuel fuel filter and no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I took off the return line off of the valve on the fuel rail and no change. Fuel was comming out of the top of the valve.Also the lift pump was replaced a month ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think thats all.

3/18/2018
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

The most common cause for the code P088 to set on your 5.9 is in most cases a failing fuel control actuator. The Fuel Control Actuator is an electronically controlled solenoid valve. The ECM (computer) controls the amount of fuel that enters the high-pressure pumping chambers by opening and closing the FCA based on a demanded fuel pressure. The Fuel Control Actuator (FCA) is located at the rear of the high-pressure, fuel injection pump . I would consider replacing it as its very likely that it will solve this code for you. See it location in the link below on the pump.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lyisjay48xpbjzg/fuel%20control%20actuator%20Mar%2018.pdf?dl=0

Thank you. I will replace it and let you know how things go. Once again Thank you.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service at the top right hand side of the page so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician