Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1998 dodge ram 1500 5,9 4x4 has a high idle ,when I go…

Hello, my 1998 dodge...

Hello, my 1998 dodge ram 1500 5,9 4x4 has a high idle ,when I go and start it, either warm or cold it goes right to 1500 rpm, and will not idle down, I have lots of new items on it, it has had many weird issues since the transmission rebuild that it did not have before,it ran perfect before,it is running like the timing is so advanced or something. fuel pressure is spot on,voltage is spot on,no codes, or lights, I will check the distributor tomorrow, change out the distributor cap and rotor,Im kinda leaning towards the conputer?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

Hello, the truck has 221000 miles, oil change before everything went wonky,new coil,cap and rotor 4-5 years back,could the transmission shop damaged something by accident?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have had it at the shop, they have changed out the tps (2) iac, (2) fuel pump the pressyre was not right it is now, it does shift correctly,the guys at the shop said the iac's are kinda working backwards from how they are supposed to work??

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have owned this truck for 15 years this month I know it quite well

3/18/2018
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

A high idle in the range of 1500 rpm is typically associated with an uncontrolled vacuum leak in the engine. The greater the leak, the higher the rpm will go. Since you have had a shop look at it already, it's probably safe to say that the obvious sources of a vacuum leak have been checked already.

On this particular engine in 1998, the intake manifold has a separate belly pan that is prone to leaking. Checking around the intake for vacuum leaks will not show up anything because this belly pan is on the bottom of the manifold. If they can't locate anything, then I suggest the intake manifold be removed and re-seal this belly pan.

When you are satisfied that I have answered your question, please provide a 5 star rating since this is how your expert is compensated for taking time out of their day to assist you. However, if you need any more info please reply back to me before you provide any rating, Thanks again!

Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Sir, Hello. Thank You for the information, I knew of those kind of leaks around the intake,yes the shop did check for them,but I was still wondering about this and I Thank You for confirming this, just wish it wasn't the case though,but with this era of engines,which when they run good they really do! May I ask is there a certain good brand replacement to use? Thank You for Your Time on this.
Personally I prefer OEM parts, always.