Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have the cv axel out of my 09 half ton and the replacement…

Customer Question
I have the cv...

I have the cv axel out of my 09 half ton and the replacement needs the short stub inserted before I can install it. I can't get the short stub out of the old axel. Help.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Dodge?

1500 5.7 hemi 4X4 automatic.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes tried clamping the shaft in the vice and pounding on the old axel but it wont budge and is just slipping down toward the splines..

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/17/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician replied 5 months ago
Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician

Welcome to JA my name is Mark.

Sadly this is an all too common occurance with these stub shafts, they end up getting rusted into the cv shaft and are very difficult or impossible to remove.

From experience, we just replace the stub shaft because by the time you're finished heating and pounding the stub shaft is barely re-usable anyway. So, as much as it hurts I would suggest simply replacing the stub shaft.

If you want to continue trying, I would suggest using some heat such as a torch to heat up the cv shaft and this might help separate the two.

Hope that helps.......

K. I was going to replace the stub shaft but. The teck at my local Dodge dealer didn't know what I was talking about and couldn't find the part. So here is what I did. It may save some people grief in the future. I was replacing the cv axel because it was buggered at the joint by the wheel. I took the boot off of the other end and pulled it apart. This exposed what appeared to be a frost plug separating the stub shaft from the cavity full of grease. I checked and it dented easily with a small screw driver. So I took a half inch peice of round bar stock and drove it throught the plug. One more hit and the stub fell into the milk crate I had on the floor under the vice. No damage cleaned it up, greased it and the truck is all back together except the brakes and wheel. Genious!
Thanks anyway.
Good job.