Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Durango 5.9. Overheated, I cooled it down, it started…

2000 Durango 5.9....

2000 Durango 5.9. Overheated, I cooled it down, it started then died when I stepped on it kind of hard to hurry and get home. First time try restart fired a little then nothing. Tried flooded start. Then sat o'nite. p done shows for codes. Fuel gauge and volt meter comes up with key on. SDM checks good. No bad fuses. No spark, no power to coil. Fuel pump runs when key to on. No power in DG/OR wire out of joint connector when power on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

It won't fire at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Tested as above, looking in oem shop manual.

3/17/2018
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thank you for visiting the site. Please allow me a few minutes to review your question.

How long did you drive it while it was in an overheated state?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd shut it down as soon as it reached the red, cooled it down 1/2 hr, added coolant, drove again until it got hot, same scenario. 3 times. Last time didn't have enuf coolant to near fill it. It just went 50 feet after I started it and died. I stepped on it sort of hard as soon as it started as I was within 2 miles of home and was trying to keep running time to minimum. Problem started with thermostat that was slightly too large and coolant leaked out as I drove.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'd shut it down as soon as it reached the red, cooled it down 1/2 hr, added coolant, drove again until it got hot, same scenario. 3 times. Last time didn't have enuf coolant to near fill it. It just went 50 feet after I started it and died. I stepped on it sort of hard as soon as it started as I was within 2 miles of home and was trying to keep running time to minimum. Problem started with thermostat that was slightly too large and coolant leaked out as I drove. It turns over freely and no coolant in oil.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did U get my reply? Security apps interfering with sending maybe.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did U get my reply? Security apps may be interfering with sending.

please standby.

ok, then lets look at the no spark issue. what have you tried so far? I see that you said you have no power from the DG/OR wire at the joint connector. what joint connect and what power?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked power at the coil, nothing. I have an oem shop manual, so looked into wiring diagrams and ignition system section. The DG/OR wire comes out of the joint connector in the underhood fuse box, driver side, supposedly conveys power from the ASD relay to the coil the ASD control in the PCM. I pulled the ASD relay and there is electric at two points in the socket with key on.

ok. let me take a look at my diagrams

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In my shop manual it's on 8W-30-5 The DG/OR wire is at Joint Connector #2 in the PDC. I did not check electric in K51 DB/YL wire from ASD relay int he PDC going to the ASD relay control in the PCM

you arent going to have power at the injectors either

pull the asd relay and jumper 30 to 87

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I presume 30 is the one with power coming in to the relay in the 3 pin group?
Which of the other 2 is 87?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which of the other 2 is 87?I'll make up a jumper and try that . Will take a few minutes.

let me see if i can find a layout of the relay

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probly the 2 outside ones. I'll look on the relay to see if it's numbered.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Looks like 3 is the hot one of the 2 pins and 87 is the center one of the 3 pins. I'll try jumping those.

is it numbered 1,2,3,5?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The 3 pins are, 87A, 87, 85. The other two are 30 and 86

ok, jumper 30 to 87

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The 3 pins are, 87A, 87, 85. The other two are 30 and 86Oh, wait, yes they are 4, 5, 1 for the 3 pins, and 3 and 2 for the two pins
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The 3 pins are, 87A, 87, 85. The other two are 30 and 86Oh, wait, yes they are 4, 5, 1 for the 3 pins, and 3 and 2 for the two pinsthat's on the relay body

jumper 3 to 5 then

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The 3 pins are, 87A, 87, 85. The other two are 30 and 86Oh, wait, yes they are 4, 5, 1 for the 3 pins, and 3 and 2 for the two pinsthat's on the relay bodyThere's no connector in the center socket of the 3 pins
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The 3 pins are, 87A, 87, 85. The other two are 30 and 86Oh, wait, yes they are 4, 5, 1 for the 3 pins, and 3 and 2 for the two pinsthat's on the relay bodyThere's no connector in the center socket of the 3 pinsLooks like that's #5. The diagram on the relay doesn't
look like the pin layout and there's no numbers where it
plugs in

ok, key off. check for 12 volts in one of the slots

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
plugs inLooking in the book, looks like 30 is the one of the 3 with power to it coming from
the PDC, positioned on one side of the relay, and 87 is the one going to the joint connector
and is on the oposite site of the 3 pins.I'll jumper the outside 2 pins of the 3.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
and is on the oposite site of the 3 pins.I'll jumper the outside 2 pins of the 3.FYI the fuel pump relay and the ASD relays are identical,
same # and diagram. I swapped them and no help./
Fuel pump does run when key turned on so that relay
probly is good.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
probly is good.Will check volts key off
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
probly is good.Will check volts key offHave 12v on outside of two pins key off, only one.Also have 12v on one of the 3 pins with key on.

you are very confusing. i am only asking you to check for 12 volts in slot 30 with key off

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
probly is good.Will check volts key offHave 12v on outside of two pins key off, only one.Also have 12v on one of the 3 pins with key on.jumped 30 and 87 as far as I can tell, no firing when try start
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
probly is good.Will check volts key offHave 12v on outside of two pins key off, only one.Also have 12v on one of the 3 pins with key on.Found numbering for relay sockets.
Do have 12v key off on pin 30 which is #3

it shouldnt fire. just check power to the coil and injectors with it jumpered

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do have 12v key off on pin 30 which is #3OK, now knw which sockets are 30 and 87. Will try jump and
check for power at coil inj

ok great

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
check for power at coil injYes, have power at DG/OR wire going to coil, both at coil and coming out of
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.

ok standby please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.Will ck at inj

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.Will ck at injAlso have 12v at inj's

ok

now with the key on, check for power in slot 86

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's

check for power in slot 86 with key on

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's

would you please stop sending me the whole conversation everytime you answer. I only need one simple answer each time

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Fuse looks good.Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Fuse looks good.I'm just hitting SEND . Not obvious how to send just last answer.Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's

ok, if you cant start sending me one answer per question I am not going to continue this

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Fuse looks good.I'm just hitting SEND . Not obvious how to send just last answer.Is it the Add Files thing?Will ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's

just answer in separate boxes, not the same one

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Fuse looks good.I'm just hitting SEND . Not obvious how to send just last answer.That's what I'm doing. This is in a separate box all by itself under your last replyWill ck at injOKAlso have 12v at inj's

standby

you have to have power at 86, its coming directly from fuse 3 in the PDC

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing at 86

Check fuse 3 in the pdc

much better with the one line answer

I cant call. Im getting ready to head to my shop. maybe Ill call once I get there. check fuse 3 in the pdc. if its good then make sure the fuse is getting power to it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Fuse looks good.I'm just hitting SEND . Not obvious how to send just last answer.That's what I'm doing. This is in a separate box all by itself under your last replyWill ck at injOKJust pulled number 3, it's listed as number 30 in the diagram in the PDC cover, but labeled as Shutdown.
Showes continuity with multi meter ohms
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Showes continuity with multi meter ohms.l.will ck to see of power to that fuse

ill catch up with you when i get to my shop. hang in there

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
joint connect 2 at PDC. Key off.No power key on slot 86, there is power at slot 85I see slot 86 comes from fuse 9 in Junction BlockI'll check that.Fuse looks good.I'm just hitting SEND . Not obvious how to send just last answer.That's what I'm doing. This is in a separate box all by itself under your last replyWill ck at injOKPulled the Shutdown fuse - number 15 in my PDC diagram, sorry I mis quoted.
Fuse shows continuity with multimeter on ohms. Also tried one of the other fuses.
Still nothing at 86. There is 12v coming to the fuse.
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN
Phone call session started

Im back, what have you found out?

david craig
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic