Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Engine cranks but won't start, not yet, havent got a spark…

Engine cranks but won't...

Engine cranks but won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?

Not yet, havent got a spark tester. doesn't even begin to fire up. have checked fuel punp fuse, which is good, but not teting to figure out how to test actual fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2004

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was working, then turned engine off for about an hour and havent been able to get started again

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

So far, have only tried checking all visible electrical lines to make sure nothing loose, checked fuel pump fuse and relay, added a little gas to make sure that gas gauge wasnt broken and tanknactually empty. found this site researching how to find ignition coil to check that next

Inhad originally thought might be anti-theft system killing engine, but would have expected the engine to start at least momentarily in that case. It looks like there is a per-plug ignition coil, so now I dont think that would be the problem. a bad plug/plugs I think woild at least start a little, but just turning over and never begonning to start would seem like either no fuel or no spark at all on any of the plugs/cylenders...
I had originally thought might be anti-theft system killing engine, but would have expected the engine to start at least momentarily in that case. It looks like there is a per-plug ignition coil, so now I dont think that would be the problem. a bad plug/plugs I think woild at least start a little, but just turning over and never begonning to start would seem like either no fuel or no spark at all on any of the plugs/cylenders...
3/17/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What model Dodge and what engine size?

2004 durango, 5.7 hemi

A quick test is to see if it runs on starting fluid if not problem is most likely the fuel pump. If it doesn't run on starting fluid check to see if you have spark. Another quick test you can do is turn key on-off-on-off-on to see if any diagnostic codes are setting, they will display on odometer. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

will try starting fluid in the morning, but will go check for diagnostic code now. how can I check the code?

If you turn key on-off-on-off-on within 5 seconds any codes should display on odometer.

trying that, but no code being displayed...

It should at least say "done" which means codes were checked.

Here is a video showing how to do it.

-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAUkHAG_Hko

p 0645
p 0406
u 0141
u 0522

Thanks, ***** ***** a few minutes to look into these codes.

thank you!

P​0645 is related to the AC clutch relay, likely a bad relay. P0406 usually means the EGR valve has failed. U0141 means loss of communication with front control module, and I do not see U0522 as a valid code. I'm afraid none of these codes should cause vehicle to stop starting so you will need to go back to seeing if vehicle runs on starting fluid, if so do a fuel pressure test, if fuel pressure is low verify pump has good power/ground while trying to start, if so replace fuel pump. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. THanks.

the relay code is likely related to me swapping the ac clutch relay with fuel pump relay to see if the fuel pump relay was bad. will recheck that last code now, may have written it down incorrectly...

Sounds good, let me know. So far I'm leaning toward fuel pump being problem but above testing needs to be done to be sure.

sprry, lastbone was p 0522
last one

That is the code we needed, this code usually means the crankshaft position sensor has failed which will cause no spark which won't allow vehicle to start so I'd go ahead and replace the crank shat position sensor. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

This code could also be caused by the engine oil pressure sensor. Unplug the oil pressure sensor to see if vehicle starts if so replace oil pressure sensor, if not replace the crank shaft position sensor.

do you have a diagram showing location for those sensors?

Sure, give me a few minutes.

thanks!

No problem, I'm happy to help. Here is a picture of both. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees so make sure to let me know if you need anything or run into questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94cqdqkataie5cw/ckps1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hd8kna5pwtgqxxy/ckps2.pdf?dl=0

both of those pics seem to show the crankshaft position sensor, dont see the oil pressure sensor indicated (unless I'm missing it...)

Oil pressure switch is located on right lower part of picture, it is near oil filter. I'd also recommend seeing if it starts on starting fluid fluid before replacing crank sensor. If crank sensor is problem it will not run on starting fluid.

where would you recommend spraying the starting fluid?

It needs to be sprayed into throttle body, it is easier with 2 people. One person sprays while the other person tries to start vehicle.

is oil pressure sensor / oil pressure switch referring to same thing?

Yes they are the same thing.

one last question tonight, may be dumb question, but where is throttle body, do you have pic available?

You need to remove intake duct to access throttle body, here is a picture. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Please do not forget to rate answer, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gx0g7ls02zypz2j/tb.PNG?dl=0

ok, so I'll pull the intake duct (removing hose clamp at indicated location), amd the throttle body will be underneath, within the rectangular housing, correct?

If you spray into the plastic housing that the intake duct is connected to as shown in picture that will work fine for test.

great. I'll try that first thing in the morning after the auto parts store opens, will you be available then if I have any questions?
although I think I have a good understanding of next steps...

I'll be available tomorrow, I should reply within a hour of you asking any questions. Thanks.

fantastic, thanks! will try those steps first thing in the morning, and then rate the answer once complete (although I'm already confident in the process)...Will that work?

That is fine, hopefully if it ends up being something a shop has to take care of you don't decide to leave me a negative rating or no rating at all. keep me updated, thanks.

No worries, I wouldnt do that :)you've been very helpful and it sounds like this is likely to be related to the issue root cause, and while I may have a few more questions, I understand that sometimes there's only so much you can do without being in front of the vehicle yourself ;)will update you in morning either way, thanks!

Sounds good, thanks.

Sounds good, thanks.

Dan, Technician