Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Got new dodge today. Forgot and stuck another key not same.

Customer Question
Got new dodge today...

Got new dodge today. Forgot and stuck another key not same. Damaged key light came on. Tried other key no success. Horn blue. Disconnect battery. How do you resetdamagedker system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Book says use key to reset horn but it won’t work.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

Ogge caravan 2017

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

When horn started I just disconnected battery to stop horn.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What else does he need?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
3/17/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 1 month ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Unfortunately there is no DIY method. This REQUIRES a dealer level scan tool to reprogram it as the incorrect key causes loss of programming memory.

You can call around to your local locksmiths as most now have the scan tool and software to do this and can come out to your vehicle. If none do, then it would have to be towed in to a dealer to have this done.

I am sorry to be the deliverer of bad news here

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is this ignition situation removed so won’t happens again?

HI,

No, it is just reprogrammed to mate your key back to the immobilizer control module.

It can happen again if the wrong key is inserted. This is not just a Dodge thing. Fords, GMs, Audis, MBs, BMWs, and just about every auto manufacturer does it this was as an additional antitheft feature. This way if someone uses a key that the immobilizer control module does not recognize, it will lock it out and prevent it from starting and require the same reprogramming before the correct key will work

If you have any other questions on this, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager