Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with auto tranny. My…

I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel with auto tranny. My problem is, I’ve replaced the alternator with a new not rebuilt, had batteries tested, inspected all battery cables, had the starter professionally rebuilt. The truck cranked once and ran for about 1 minute and shut off. When I say off, everything, no dome lights, no door buzzer, nothing. I disconnected the battery and everything reset when I reconnected the battery. But not every time I try the start the engine it clicks once and everything dies and I have to disconnect the battery to reset it. The check engine light goes out once the do not start engine light goes out. So I don’t think it’s in the pcm. What should I do next? The truck I’ve had since new with 163k miles and is in excellent condition. Thanks, Ron

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Which light, check engine?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It’s a 2500 and yes I do my own work normally.

3/16/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Hi Chris, I hope you can point me in the right direction.
I was hoping you could help thru texting.
This problem you are having is a classic example of a poor battery cable connection, either at the batteries, or at the PDC (Power Distribution Center ) The PDC is the under hood fuse box and one of the large positive battery cables attaches to it. Check those cables again and check the ground cables where they attach to the engine block and body. Check that PDC cable connection closely. Let me know what you find.Chris
Thanks, ***** ***** hoping it was something simple. I’ll let you know in a couple hours as I’m not at the truck thus minute.
Sounds good! I will keep an eye out for your reply later today.
Chris,You were right, it looks like I either need new battery post clamps or new bolt\nuts in the clamps. The nuts are pretty bad and can’t quite tighten them satisfactly. Thanks and have a blessed weekend!!

You are very welcome! Glad I was able to help you! I hope this information/answer was helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you! and have a blessed weekend also!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you!!

Chris