Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6, no spark on ignition coil wire.

Customer Question
2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9L...

2002 Dodge Dakota 3.9L V6, no spark on ignition coil wire. It has new crankshaft position sensor, pickup coil (camshaft position sensor), ignition coil, distributor cap,

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

It doesn’t

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I’ve replaced camshaft position sensor (pickup coil), crankshaft position sensor, ignition coil, distributor cap and rotor. Also tested the voltage at each sensor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’ve also had the PCM checked and repaired. I’m getting trouble code p0340. I’ve also checked the timing and relays.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/16/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 4 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Does the ignition coil receive power from the ASD relay while cranking?

Have you checked all of the fuses?

All fuses and relays have been tested.

The power distribution block doesn’t have an ASD relay listed in it.

HHmm.. ok

Does the coil get power while cranking?

My thoughts exactly, it has power to the ignition coil when I turn the key on without starting it. Could the ASD relaybe listed as something else?

Yes

I bet is the engine relay in the fuse block. Although it is flipped flopped with the radiator fan relay compared to my wiring diagram.

it has an ASD relay and ASD fusible connector in your diagram.

Just the relay.. right by the spare slot

Those relays have been replaced.

I am not asking if the relay is good or if the relay has been replaced, I am asking if the relay activates when cranking.

sir. It click when starting.

Ok then be sure the coil has power while cranking.

Which one of the wires do I need to test? How do I need to perform the test?

I believe it is the dark green/orange wire. You can use a test light or a voltmeter to check for power on this wire while cranking.

It is getting late here as I am eastern time. Please run this test and reply back tomorrow with the results.

Talk soon!

sir.

Thank you

Good morning. I performed the test on both wires green/orange strip has power....the other wire flashed off and on.

Hello and thank you for running that test. So there is power and a ground signal trigger to the ignition coil while cranking but the coil is not producing spark? This indicates a faulty ignition coil.

How was I suppose to test the black wire?
I wanting to insure I tested it properly.

Your talking about the signal wire at the coil? You can test it a few different ways. How did you check it?

I back probed it just as I did the green/orange striped wire with a test light.

Ok, that is good, but the other end of the test light should clip battery positive as you would be testing/checking for a ground.

Okay. I tested it incorrectly then I had to the negative post. I’m going to retest it now.
Test light flashed off and on. It has a new ignition coil and coil wire to the distributor cap.

It might be best to speak on the phone..

How should I test for spark from the ignition coil.

This is best done using a spark tester attached to the output tower of the coil grounding out the other side so you can watch for spark to jump while cranking.

I don’t have a spark tester.

You can use a screw as well in place of a spark tester.

Okay. I had spark this morning then I drove it 3 miles came back. I turned it off and it started back fine. I waited 2 hours and tried to start it again. No spark once again.

Ok, then run the test light we talked about. :)

On the gray wire to the positive post?

I would check both inputs to the coil to be sure

The green/ orange is getting power.

Ok excellent

The black or gray wire wasn’t getting power at first but now it is. It is very crazy.

Ok well you need to get a good reading

A good reading?

yes

What would cause it to work when it wants too?

Faulty new cam or crank sensor, wiring issue or faulty PCM (or input)

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great weekend!!

Did you have any further questions sir?

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Amedee

Hey. I’m still having problems with the ignition coil voltage. I’ve replaced the ecm, the crankshaft position sensor and pickup coil. The green/orange wire is getting 12 volts then it is dropping the 12 volts about 5 seconds into cranking.
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 3 months ago

Maybe it would be best to speak on the phone.

What would cause the green/orange wire to loss voltage a few seconds into cranking.

Lots of things.

Such as?

PCM, wiring base engine mechanical issues etc..

PCM is new and wiring has been checked.

Excellent

Asd relay engages like it is supposed to then while cranking the asd relay disengages.

Right. Thats normal.

When it disengages I loss power to the green/orange ignition coil wire.

Right

you aren’t going to offer any suggestions or things to check?

I did already sir. It is on this page further up in the chat.

I’ve done all the things you said to do. The green/orange wire had power at all time during cranking. Since doing everything you said I’m experiencing loss of power at the green/orange wire.

I am confident I can help you but it would be best to speak on the phone. I can explain everything in detail. I can lower the cost of the phone call down to $5 bucks for you. Is that OK with you?

Sorry I can’t speak on the phone while working on the truck.

I would not want you working on the truck when we speak on the phone.

I have jumped #30 and #87 on the asd in the power distribution box. When I do so I constantly get my 12 volts on green/orange wire.

I am going to leave this question open.

You are going to leave the question open?
I’m getting a constant reading of 5 volts on CPS on an analog meter without fluctuation while turning the motor over with ratchet. I know the CPS is supposed to fluctuate from 0 to 5 volts as the flywheel turning. What would cause the CPS not to fluctuate?
Dodge Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
You cannot read sensors on a motor vehicle with an analog meter!!!! You will FRY THE PCM!
You also will not get a fast enough reaction to even read it and it's a digital signal throw that meter away!At this point you probably just fried your PCM by pulling an excessive amount of amperage through that wire.What you need to do is get it a LED test light and probe the wire for the signal and see if it blinks, if it's blinking you can try running a new wire from there to the PCM but if that doesn't work your PCM is faulty now.Analog meters have not been safe to use on vehicles for like 25 years.At any rate take the distributor cap off and crank the motor and see if the rotor is spinning or if for some reason distributor isn't spinning internally as well.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name because that is the only way I get paid for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask.
The service manual said to use an analog meter to read the 0 to 5 volt fluctuation cause a digital meter wouldn’t show the fluctuation. Anyhow I read it with both an analog and digital meter without an fluctuation on the crankshaft sensor it holds steady at 4.99 volts.
Okay well the fault code that you gave me isn't for the crank position sensor it is for the cam position.The way electricity works is that if there's a broken wire somewhere and the circuit is incomplete then you don't get any voltage drop at all and you won't get any voltage fluctuation the entire system voltage would just stay at 5 volts like you're describing.If it were me I would overlay new wires to the PCM, or wherever they go maybe for both the crank and cam sensor. A failed camshaft position sensor generally won't cause a no start condition.The only other thing that I could be would be if somehow the tone ring internal to the engine on the crankshaft came loose, so you might pull the sensor and look and see that it's rotating.Your fault code seems to indicate it's a cam sensor though it that fault is not a correlation fault saying it's not in time with the crank sensor saying there's a circuit fault there's an electrical issue.
Ive replace all the new components that Amedee said that could be faulty. Which are CPS, pickup coil aka camshaft sensor and PCM as well as tested the wiring. I went from getting no spark from ignition coil to dropping voltage on the green/orange wire at ignition coil.
I back probed the green/orange wire on the ignition coil. I connected a test light to it. When I’m cranking the truck the test light comes on as normal then 3 to 5 second into cranking I loss power. I’ve replaced the asd relay but it seems to be disengaging during cranking.