Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Serious over charging. 2014 dodge ram 3500 with the 6.4

Serious over charging Mechanic's...

Serious over charging

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2014 dodge ram 3500 with the 6.4 liter i am a tech and have done quite a bit of research soask ant and all questions we need this truck back on the road

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am a mechanic with my own bussiness so yes it was doing some strange electrical bugs so of course we checked alternator voltage and it was sky high my gauge goes up to 16 and it was well passed that so i replaced the alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you done a battery test? Has there been any change in headlight brightness?

Are you a computer?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i would just like to speak to a tech thank you

when you pull the connector off it drops to a normally charging alternator and slowly falls off
3/16/2018
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. I am a shop foreman at a Ram dealer by the way. Tell me, is the check engine light on also?

Chris

with numerous codes which i am really chaulking up to the computer not enjoying the 18 + volts being produced by the alternator?

Gotcha. Are any of those codes related to "generator field circuit" Note you may have set one when you disconnected the field connector at the alternator, but did you have any field circuit codes before you disconnected it?

Chris

am i correct in understanding there is also an internal voltage regulator in the pcm?
No sir
they are very mistermenor codes just too many for year/mileage
nothing pertaining to any voltage

Yes. The PCM is in charge of charging system voltage regulation. One key player though is that the connections at the battery and that intelligent battery sensor need to be good and clean/tight, so the PCM can "sense" the correct voltage. If it thinks that the voltage is low, it will ramp up the alternator voltage through the field circuits There is also a fuse I believe at the battery cable that can cause high resistance and problems with that sense circuit.

Chris

Let me back pedal, I am not sure about that fuse on a 6.4, so skip that. I have found a diagnostic procedure that may help you.

Chris

are you talking about the 250 amp breaker on the battery terminal? for the fuse and where is the intelligent battery sensor located? battery terminals are clean and neat?
ok shooot

Yes, if you have one, that is the fuse. You may want to check that with an ohm meter. The intelligent battery sensor is that thing on the negative battery cable. I have some diag info in the link below. It will open up in a PDF file. Let me know if that will help you.

Chris

very much, i am not next to the vehicle right now seeings its pretty late, i will run threw that flow chart and see what i come up with, to you have a resistance spec for the breaker i did bump it and seem to notice a large but short change in volteage?
also do they go bad? or do they develop one of those "hidden ghosts" haha

With the breaker/fuse removed, you should have less than 5 ohms. I think that may be the problem.

Chris

I have seen those fuses go bad a couple of times in my shop. Not common, but can happen.

Chris

would it hurt to try to bypass it for a very short period to observe voltage or a trick to testing it by any chance? im just a small honest shop and they are a great customer and im just kind of pulling my hair out lol

No that would be fine. Get a jumper wire and jump around that fuse. Let me know if the charging system will now settle down.

Chris

perfect will do chris thank you very much for your help and i will be sure to let you know my results how do i re contact you?
that would be fine but like i said it is now almost 10 and i no longer have the vehicle in front of me so either way i would need to know how to get back in touch and proceed if need be?

You are very welcome! I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.

Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! I will keep this open so you can just contact me the way you are doing now even after you rate.
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept also. Thank-you!

Chris

Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
absolutly

Thank you! I will look for your reply when you get a chance to do that test. Have a great evening!

Chris

Thank you

My pleasure!

I returned to vehicle this evening turned the key on and had quite a bit of flickering on the dash tried to crank and the vehicle will only crack for like a half second then stop? Something new?
Those trucks will act like that if the battery voltage is low. Get a jumper box on it and see if it will start.
Chris
Voltage and load test were spot on for the battery but after about an hour of testing I did find the problem and I’m sure you will get a good laugh
I started to attempt a wiggle test on the wires with someone watching the dash lights ( which I had tried by myself with the headlights on but not much luck, I grabbed the fuse panel that is just in front of the driver side cowl and started shaking the hell out of it and started to get a result!
There is a body ground I am assuming directly for that fuse block just a few inches away that was loose, the way I am I knew that was what was wrong but had to know why so I pulled the bolt make sure it wasn’t stripped you know clean good contact
When I brought the customer over to the vehicle mand ask him if he had been messing around with any wires, and he proceeded to tell me that his radio didn’t work so he was messing around with a radio wire in that spot, ha! Saw something on u tube or something, needless to say his radio worked when he was done but nothing else for very long!
That would have been nice to know from the start

Oh man! Lack of information or misinformation from a customer can really "throw a wrench" into a technician's diagnosis. Very frustrating huh? Well glad you found the issue my friend, and this case is solved! Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Chris

You to Chris and again thank you!

My pleasure!

Chris