Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When I turn on the ign the fuel pump does not run. if you…

Customer Question
When I turn on...

When I turn on the ign the fuel pump does not run. if you crank the engine the pump runs but the engine starts very hard and has 50lbs of fuel pressure

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?

150 miles about 2,000 miles on the oil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

1996 stratus 2.4l

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Stratus yourself? What have you tried so far?

My self ,crank sensor ,cam sensor, temp sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not much spark when cranking. the other day when I tried to start it the pump came on with the ign on and it started just fine and ran like it should now it doesn't start but does crank like it should and p0505 iac code

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
3/16/2018
Dodge Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Fuel pumps don't always rime when keying on the ignition, many times they prime when you open the driver door and if there hasn't been a lot of time between the door opening and you turn on the ignition again.Dodge was one of the very first companies to release returnless fuel injection on a production vehicle so there's no fuel pressure regulator the fuel pressure is handled via pulse-width modulation from the ECM (engine control module).Fuel pressure is based on engine vacuum, even with a standard system with a fuel pressure regulator and fuel return line when the engine has vacuum at idle it lowers the fuel pressure and when there is no vacuum it raises it.Fault code that you have states that are the idle air control system is malfunctioning and judging by your high fuel pressure hard starting and I'm guessing poor idle, I think that the idle air control solenoid is stuck open which is in effect causing a large vacuum leak.I'm unaware of what the fuel pressure should be at idle on this vehicle but, if the ECM does use the map sensor value to calculate necessary fuel pressure, a vacuum leak would cause an increase in fuel pressure because the map sensor will be reading there is low engine vacuum.Regardless let's say for a minute it's not causing that, I still like to fix any issue that I know is faulty before I continue trying to diagnose a symptom of something that I don't know the concern of because very often things may be related that you would never think would be.So on this vehicle the idle air control is controlled by a small solenoid bolted to the throttle body, the ECM modulates that's solenoid to allow air through a passageway that routes air from the front of the throttle plate to the rear of the throttle plate, bypassing the closes throttle. I have attached a picture of that solenoid from Amazon.Get yourself a can of brake cleaner or carb cleaner remove the throttle body and clean the large passageway where the throttle plate is, remove the IAC solenoid and clean out the passageway for idle air control as well as cleaning the solenoid.Put it all back together clear the fault, and see if the vehicle runs better. If it's still doesn't run well and still throws the fault replace the solenoid.
I'm pretty sure that'll fix the problem.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as as the only way the site compensates me for my time.If you have any follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask you'll still be able to ask follow-up questions later even after hitting accept.