Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 -- Need help replacing crankshaft

position sensor. Where is it...
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 -- Need help replacing crankshaft position sensor. Where is it, and how do you get it out and to the new one back in? Any torque spec?
3/15/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

What engine size

Not sure. It's a Magnum V8
Laramie 4x4 SLT, but it looks like it might have had some modifications to it, so I'm not sure if it's stock.
It's a 2 bolt sensor, if that helps.
I think I found it, but it looks like it doesn't use hex bolts. Can you tell me what and what kind of socket or wrench is needed?

HI,

Ok, for both the 5.2 and 5.9L engine, it is mounted in the same spot - The sensor is bolted to the top of the cylinder block near the rear of right cylinder head

Directions are attached with torque spec.

You can access it from either the top or the bottom. The exhaust pipe is close to it - some people disconnect the exhaust at the down pipe and some finagle around it without disconnecting

Original bolts were 6 point bolts, I believe 13mm.

If the ones you see are not, then they are not original and I am not sure of size

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager