Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just got a starter put in my 2008 dodge charger also ive…

I just got a...

I just got a starter put in my 2008 dodge charger also ive changed the starter relay and the alternator and it still wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

141000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ive changed the starter relay the alternator and the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

For the past two days ive been bypassing the starter reley to start it but now all i get is that noise when u turn your key and the car is already started

3/15/2018
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Can you explain the noise you are hearing?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

right now pete its that noise you hear when your car is already started and u still turn the key

Did this noise start only after you replaced the starter?

Before I had all the work done it wasn’t turning over at all

O.k., your starter may need to be shimmed or the starter you installed is faulty where it is not spinning out far enough to engage the fly wheel fully.I have seen this cause this fault here and had to replace the starter again with a better quality starter or with the same starter by turning in the starter you just bought under parts warranty with the facility you bought it from at no charge to you.Usually it is needs shimmed it will still turn over the engine but in this case, it is not contacting the flywheel teeth enough to crank over the engine so I suspect the new starter is faulty.

I would remove the starter and inspect the teeth on the fly wheel and see if they are all chewed off.If they are then the fly wheel needs replaced.If they are not make sure the starter was bolted on properly and if it was then it needs to be replaced again.I have seen faulty starters new out of the package before.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

But it was just running fine last night this noise and not starting just started this morning but someone else did suggest the same exact thing. I notice I get two free calls is it ok to call so u can hear it for yourself

I am not sure on the calls here.You can request the call if you like and I can speak with you on the phone.That is up to you but I do not know how the free calls work or any charges.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Phone call session started